Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion P7-1138
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavillion P7-1138 running Windows 10. I just bought a new Samsung full HD tv and I want to use it for a monitor. I am using a DVI to HDMI for the video and it works great. I am running a single speaker jack from the back of computer to the audio in on the back of the tv, which is RCA(red and white). There is no sound. I contacted Samsung and they tried a number of things and nothing worked. The audio drivers have been updated on my HP and the tv has all updates. Samsung says its my PC and that they are not compatible. Is there something I have missed with my HP or is my HP just too old and it won't work.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

In theory it should have worked if you plugged the 3.5mm audio jack into the light green audio out port.

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10.

Did you try the W10 IDT audio driver from a newer model desktop PC?

Perhaps that will work on your model too.  Restart the PC after installing the driver.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

Now, if that doesn't work, buy a cheap video card with an HDMI out port such as the AMD Radeon HD 6450, and use a HDMI cable to transmit both audio and video to your TV.

Don't get anything newer than that.   This is the cheapest one I could find on eBay.ca

Pegatron Radeon HD6450 1024MB-1GB DDR3 PCIe HDMI VGA DVI Graphics Video Card | eBay

HP Recommended

I used the virtual assistant and it put the updated driver in. This HP came with Windows 7.03 and I updated it to Windows 10 when Windows 10 came out and have been using that since then. I will try the link you gave me and see if it works.

HP Recommended

The new driver link didnt work to get me sound. So in other words my computer is too old and isnt compatible with the new tv. Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you don't want to buy a new PC, opt for the cheap video card.

HP Recommended

I bought the video card you suggested. It will be here in about a month. I will let you know if this works or not. Thanks again...

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

When you get the card, W10 will install the default drivers, but go to the AMD site and download the W10 AMD driver so that it installs the HDMI audio driver.   There is a separate audio chip on the video card for the HDMI.

AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 Drivers & Support | AMD

HP Recommended

I do have 1 question about the 6450....I have the 6550D card in my HP from new....is this 6450 not a downgrade ? And is there a 6550D card with a HDMI port? I tried searching for one but cant seem to find one.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The 6550D card is the onboard graphics adapter.   You cannot buy a 6550D graphics card.

This comparison seems to indicate that both cards are pretty much the same.  Perhaps the HD 6450 is slightly better.

And you're getting the one with 1 GB of graphics memory, not the 512 MB memory, correct?

AMD Radeon HD 6550D compare AMD Radeon HD 6450 GPU (game-debate.com)

You will also need to buy (if you don't have one already), a HDMI video cable.

An HDMI to DVI cable will not carry audio.

The next card up from the HD 6450 would be the HD 6570, which draws 60 Watts of power compared to the 18 Watts the HD 6450 draws.

HP Recommended

I used the link you gave from ebay and bought that one. As far cables are concerned, I am all set there. I just have to wait for the 6450 to come and hope it works. Thanks again Paul.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.