Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Curved 34-a051
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Popping noise from left speaker. Sometime after starting the computer, sometimes as long as an hour later (sometimes after using an application with sound), a popping noise will start coming from the left speaker in about 5 or 10-second intervals. For a moment, it cuts the sounds coming from that speaker. Sometimes with 4 or 5 second intervals of no poping. Sometimes poping every 2-seconds. This happens regardless of earphones being plugged in or not. Plugging in earphones diverts all regular sound to the earphones, except the left-speaker popping noise. Unplugging the earphones often stops the popping sound for a while; sometimes it won’t.

I see others are having the same problem, as shown on your HP Support Forum:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/34a150-popping-noises-from-speakers/m-p/5941868#M56112

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jerryst

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-a051 and there's a popping noise from the left speaker. The popping noise in intermittent and it cuts the sound from the speaker. This happens regardless of earphones being plugged in or not. Plugging in earphones diverts all regular sound to the earphones, except the left-speaker popping noise. I'll do my best to help you with this case.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Have you tried to reinstall the audio drivers?
  • Did any hardware changes or software updates happen on the PC after which you have noticed the pop-up sound?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to run a hardware test on the audio by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Select Audio test. 

Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the popup noise appears during the test too then it indicates towards a hardware failure and you may have to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your PC.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I see a few others have had the same problem, but no solution. They, too, followed your suggestions and nothing worked. One person was simply given another computer. If plugging in the headphones stops all sounds but the popping, something else is wrong. I also get a final “pop” when I close all programs and hit my Sleep Key. There has to be another answer if the speaker is bypassed by the headphone plug; and Sleep causes a pop.

HP Recommended

Hello Jerryst,

Think about when this first happened. Can you recall doing anything to the PC's settings or did you install any software prior to this happening?

I have three HP Desktop PC's, two HP Laptops PC's and two custom built PC's. Had one audio channel die on one of the HP Desktop PC's and had to replace the motherboard. 

My take on your sound issue is a problem with the audio chipset on the motherboard or you have software volume set too high.

Many motherboard makers include de-popping circuitry on their motherboards to stop popping at shutdown and boot.

Popping can happen if you set the operating system volume very high. Recommended software volume setting is around 68%.

Then adjust volume using the volume control on the external speakers.

So are you getting this popping sound from the left speaker even when you have headphones connected? Or are you getting popping in the left headphone speaker?

Grzy

HP Recommended

The popping of the left speaker happens regardless of the headphones being plugged in. Without the headphones being plugged in, the popping interrupts the regular sound or music for a split second before and after the pop. With the headphones plugged in, the regular sound goes to the headphones with no interruption in sound, but the left speaker still pops. I have plugged in other headphones with no change. This tells me the speaker is getting a voltage pulse AFTER the headphone circuit.

Sometimes, during the popping, in can unplug, then replug the speaker jack and the timing of the popping changer, or stops for a minute. Other times it won’t.

Sometimes the popping never happens. Or it happens after various other sounds videos. Perhaps the videos from the New York Times videos does something. I just doesn't happen if I don't do any sound; just read and write.

My only recourse is to take the computer apart and disconnect the left speaker. Perhaps put in an 8 ohm resister in its place. I’ll just use headphones, which is all I usually use anyway.

I wish I had a wiring circuit to see if anything else is in the speaker circuit.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.