Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-one 27b2XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no sound after recent upgrade from Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 to 1903. HP Assistant recommended SP98196 Version 6.0.8710.1 dated 6/27/2019 which downloaded but would not install. Opened a ticket with HP Support who logged into my system, tried updated the driver several times with no positive results. Told me I "shouldn't use the HP Support Assistant to update my drivers!!" He then said he would send a box so I could send them my computer to be repaired! Yeah . . . right!! I told them that each time I tried to install it that the Installation Wizard that usually rolls up that shows the status of the install never came up. Instead, a blank Shell screen appears then quickly disappears. So, it appears that whoever wrote the driver program forgot to include the installation wizard that you normally see with driver updates. That comment didn't faze him. Just "send it in and we will fix it" was his only cure for the apparent oversight on HP's part. Don't think I'll be extending the warranty when it runs out next month. Any ideas from the community??

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GordieO 

Please try to manually install the software/driver because the file is large.

(a) Download the following Realtek software and save on your computer

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98196.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver (Realtek) and reboot,
(c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I had done what you recommended several days ago and it didn't work. So, I did exactly what you recommended again.  I deleted Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) in Device Manager, verified that it was uninstalled by seeing a red "X" over the speaker icon in the system tray. When I did the install as Administrator it rolled up the InstallShield Wizard dialog box. It showed that it was going to install SP98196 which contained Version 6.0.8710.1 dated 6/27/2019. What then rolls up is the screen below. It looks like some sort of Windows Shell screen (sorry about the quality of the pic taken with Windows snipping tool). The important thing that doesn't happen is that the Wizard status screen that usually rolls up as it continues the install doesn't appear. Instead, this screen appears and lasts about 10 seconds then disappears. The red "X" covering the speaker icon in the system tray goes away and when I check Device Manager it shows that driver version 6.0.1.8560 dated 10/23/2018 has been installed. Needless to say, I'm totally confused. What's even more interesting is that when I hook up a pair of Bose external speakers through the sound jack the sound is fine. When I disconnect I have no sound through the device speakers. They worked fine before upgrading from Windows 10 Pro version 1809 to version 1903.

clipboard_image_0.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.