Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Well not quite the outcome hoped for as I am now back to windows 8.1. I updated the SP  per  Hp  recovery instructions and when I restart and selected F11 to restore factory defaults  it indicates it will install Win 10 but that did not happen.

I am back to an unsupported OS Win 8.1, which is what the PC shipped with,  but the mic problem is resolved.

A small win for a BIG loss. 

HP Recommended

@Dave_CDN
Have you checked windows update for windows 10 upgrade?

Click here to know more about Upgrade to "Windows 10" ( Microsoft Document ) 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows update does not work on Win 8.1 as it is an unsupported OS. I will investiagtre the link you provided.

HP Recommended

@Dave_CDN

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The system restore worked, and my original issue was resolved, although the action did set me back to Win 8.1 while all indications were that Win 10 was the target recovery OS. 

The follow up issue I had was I could not connect to windows update due to Win 8.1 being unsupported as an OS. So I had to manually download the Win 10 install tool which also failed to run due to the video card installed by HP on my Envy 700-329 a Nvidia GT 635 came up marked as not compatible with Win 10.  I found a workaround for that issue on another forum. Run the upgrade off offline and ignore the compatibility warning that the installer presents. 

So I had to reinstall 8.1 and force upgrade to Win 10. It does look like I will now need to upgrade my video card.  In hindsight that may have been the issue that caused my original crashes ev3n though it is working fine right now.

Thanks for for all your guidance and links to tools to restore my pc.  

HP Recommended

@Dave_CDN

Glad to hear that! If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Any suggestions on a video card upgrade? The pc has a 460 Watt power supply, Envy 700-329  

HP Recommended

@Dave_CDN
I would recommend the 650Ti and if you could open up your budget a bit more. I would then go a bit higher for the HD 7850.

Click here to know more information on the latest GeForce graphics cards,

Good luck!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.