Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For those that have problems like I do with the awful Conexant audio driver  (poor sound quality, pops / drops in audio, and outright loss of audio),  you may have already been using the Windows HD Audio Device driver already.   I was able to "roll back" or choose this driver instead in driver manager and get back to having audio that works.

but a recent update has caused it to be harder to remove this driver.   Removing from add / remove programs or device manager the Conexant Audio drive would result in it being installed again automatically when restarting since an update sometime around Sept 2019.

Now when I revert, I get anoying pop ups that "smart audio cannot find the driver".   No duh, I removed it!   I had trouble finding what program this "smart audio was" ....

I think there are a pair of services that are responsible for reinstall of the conexant audio driver.    These are found in windows services, and are named CxAudioSvc and CxUtilSvc.   When I set these to "disabled" and restart, then removing the Conexant audio driver in Driver Manager works as expected.   

Hopefully this will help other users trying to stop using the awful Conexant drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.