Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop 290
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a weird issue with my new HP Slim Desktop 290. Sometimes there's no sound coming from the speakers or headphones. I have to restart the computer and the sound works again. The odd thing is that when I click on the volume control (icon in the right corner), I can hear the 'bling' sound (adjusting the volume) when I move the slider either left or right. But when I open Chrome and try to play a YouTube video for example, there is NO sound. 

I already tried the HP support assistant, went to 'Audio Check' > Audio Diagnostics > Test Audio (and NO sound) > Unable to hear Audio > Repairing Audio drivers > Status: Audio driver installed (in green) >>> still no audio!

Speakers ARE enabled and green.

In windows volume settings it's set to Speakers (Realtek High definition audio device) = output.

Again, the 'bling' sound can be hear when adjusting the slider in the volume icon.

My guess is that the audio driver is used by another program, hence the issue is resolved when restarting the computer, but I have no idea. 

It's really annoying having to restart the computer every time when there's no audio, especially when you already have your workspace open.

It also doesn't happen all the time. I'd say 1 out of 5 times when the computer is used there's simply no audio.

Please help!

-Marcus

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community  @Marcus79 

To better assist you, the members will need the exact model number or product number of your desktop???

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

REO

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERIAL NUMBERS

HP Recommended

The product number is 3ZY33EA#ABE 

HP Recommended

@Marcus79 

Make sure UEFI and BIOS are upto date.

INSTALL:

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-slim-290-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390...

REBOOT:

Then INSTALL:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 843F)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-slim-290-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390...

REBOOT:

REO

HP Recommended

Hi REO,

I followed the steps you recommended. Hopefully it works now. There's no way to check since the problem is not persistent. I have audio now, but when switching users it may come back. Either way, I'll let you know.

Another strange thing I noticed is in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers . It has Intel(R) Display Audio AND Realtek High Definition Audo listed at the same time. I have an HP 24o monitor hooked up to my desktop through HDMI. Perhaps there's a conflict somewhere there, who knows.

In any case I hope the problem is fixed.

Thank you very much for your help thus far.

-Marcus

HP Recommended

@Marcus79 

Keep us upto date.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi REO,

My wife logged in this morning under her profile and again,... no sound. She had to reboot the system and the sound worked again. The mystery continues...

Is there anything else we can do?

-Marcus

HP Recommended

It did it again,... this time when I switched back to my user profile.. no sound!

I ran the audio check and here's what I got:

hp_audio_check1.png

When I scroll down I see Device 3 and 4, disabled and unplugged.. what is this?

hp_audio_check2.png

HP Recommended

One more thing. In device manager I have 2 audio controllers. Does that need to be there? Or can I remove the Intel Display Audio? Maybe something is conflicting...

device_manager.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.