Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP20-2300x
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just recently when I try to call on Skype the othewr party tells me after a short while hat they cannot hear me. HP checks say everything is working OK and after uninstalling and reinstalling Skype the same problems persists.

Skype support tried to resolve the matter and eventually said it was my internet connection. I make excellent Skypre calls on my mobile via the WiFi modem my PC uses.  Skype test calls are played back to good quality.

I have tried driver update but that shows my driver is OK; 

I have run every check I can think of using HP Support Assistant and tested the playback on Everest Ultimate Edition computer analysis software.

Any suggestions welcomed

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@clifric Skype does rely on your internet connection, so if you find your audio going in and out or if it seems to lag, it may be the result of a bad internet connection. Move closer to your Wi-Fi router or to a place with a better cellphone reception or contact your internet provider for help.

If you want to see if your microphone and speakers are working, use its built-in echo call feature. To do this, you will need to exit an existing call.

Search your contacts menu for the Skype "Echo / Sound Test Service" contact and place a call to it. You should be instructed to leave a test message,

then hear it played back. If this works normally, your audio settings appear to be working, and the issue may be on the other end of your call. Ask the other person on the call to run the test as well.

If you can't hear the instructions, there's likely a problem with your sound settings or speakers. If you can hear the instructions but not the message you record, it may be an issue with your microphone.

Also, check if you can communicate using yahoo or any other software to identify if this is either a software or hardware issue.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. For some reason this forum will not sign me in as clifric and I have had to sign inon a new profile!!

My PC is connected via Ethernet to a modem 0.65 metre aaway. I have caried out Skype test calls satisfatorily and checked that my drivers are up to date.

This problem occurs on a Skype to Skype call (my friend has a good test call also) and also on a call to a UK landline. I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times (one done by HP technician on live chat)

I have tried setting my IPV 4 to permit automatic selection of IP address and DNS whuich doesn't work but I have had to leave that setting because my original settings have disappeared altogether. I have made a Restore Point for the current state - wish I had done before I reset!!

As I said I can communicate via Skype on my mobile using WiFi from the same modem that supplies my Ethernet; also commincation via LINE and Whats App are working OK. I have resorted to using Skype on my mobile

HP Recommended

@clifric1 If the line and WhatsApp applications are working fine on your HP device while Skype continues to have the sound failure, it's evident that the issue is with the Skype program and I suggest you contact Skype support for further assistance regarding the same, to help you out, here's the link for the skype support: Click here

If the applications you've mentioned only work on your phone and not the computer, please check an application that works on your computer and also,

check the HP device on a different wifi connection at the office or the public library, if it works and your home network doesn't, you may need to check with the ISP to change the router channels or upgrade the router firmware.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Riddle_Decipher.

I did try Skype support but none of their suggestions were either practicable or actually solve the problem; as I said they blamed the internet and washed their hands of me.

I don't want to clog up the system so I will tick 'Solved' and continue to use my mobile for Skype.

Thank you rfor your interest; I find HP a very supportive company so that is why I just bought an HP notebook for my wife

HP Recommended

I wanted to click on Accept as a  Solutiuon but cannot find the option

HP Recommended

@clifric1 I wish there was more I could do to help with Skype, however, I'm out of both my support boundary and ideas when it comes to advanced skype support,

Nevertheless, I appreciate the fact that you've appreciated my attempt to get your out of this situation and if you need anything else, feel free to get back to us anytime.

Take care and have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.