Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The speakers on my Spectre x360 laptop stopped working - possibly as a result of a Windows update. My OS is the 1909 build, version 18363.720. I'm looking for a driver that will bring back my sound. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had already done all of the things you suggested prior to posting my problem. I must have tried 10 different audio drivers. I read a post from 2018:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Audio-Bang-amp-Olufsen-did-not-work/m-p/6677845

After over 12 hours of working on the problem this is what fixed it from the post link above:

Reset BIOS to defaults (notebook PCs):

1.  After pressing the power button, repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Startup Menu, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
  2. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.
  3. Select Load Setup Defaults.
  4. Select Save Changes and Exit.
  5. Press Esc and then Enter to exit the BIOS. The default settings are restored, the BIOS Setup utility closes, and the computer starts into Windows.

When I did that, the sound came back and all of the functions on the Bang & Olufsen console came back too!  

I hope that this helps someone.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@fairhaven77 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the speaker is not working.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please update the windows update and check.

Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

For advanced support, follow the below steps: 

Step 1: Restart the computer  

Step 2: Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows 

Step 3: Test external speakers or headphones 

Step 4: Set the default audio device 

Step 5: Restoring or updating the audio driver 

Step 6: Perform a hard reset 

The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Please update the BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I had already done all of the things you suggested prior to posting my problem. I must have tried 10 different audio drivers. I read a post from 2018:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Audio-Bang-amp-Olufsen-did-not-work/m-p/6677845

After over 12 hours of working on the problem this is what fixed it from the post link above:

Reset BIOS to defaults (notebook PCs):

1.  After pressing the power button, repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Startup Menu, and then press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
  2. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.
  3. Select Load Setup Defaults.
  4. Select Save Changes and Exit.
  5. Press Esc and then Enter to exit the BIOS. The default settings are restored, the BIOS Setup utility closes, and the computer starts into Windows.

When I did that, the sound came back and all of the functions on the Bang & Olufsen console came back too!  

I hope that this helps someone.

HP Recommended

@fairhaven77 

Thank you for the update.

We are happy to hear that you have resolved the issue.

In the future, if you have any concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.