Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 34" Curved Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 34" Curved monitor has a pop-up webcam that includes a "dual array" microphone.  When I connect the monitor to my computer with the supplied USB type-B to USB type-A cord (for the camera output) and with a not-supplied 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable (plugged into the microphone in jack on my computer), I can use the webcam and the Bang and Olufsen speakers as a Speakerphone, utilizing Microsoft Skype, for example.  

What I'd like to do is use the same microphone array as a general purpose microphone, to record audio using the Windows Sound Recorder.  I cannot get that to work.  If I plug a headset in, or use a desktop microphone, it works fine.  Why can't I use the webcam microphone for sound recording outside of a Skype interaction?

The microphone is shown as enabled and default in my Sound app, as you can see below:

Capture.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@William76,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to use the microphones on the monitor.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Here is the User Guide for the monitor.  In Chapter 3, Page 18, there is a Troubleshooting guide titled "Speaker volume is low or off".  There are suggestions for correcting the problem.  Give these a try to see if the problem is solved.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. However, the problem isn't the speaker volume.  The problem is using the monitor microphone, as you mention in the first line of your post.  The microphone shows up as a device in the Sound app, as shown in my post, but will not record audio from Windows Sound Recorder.  It does record audio in Skype however, which tells me that the cables are connected to the computer correctly.

HP Recommended

@William76,

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.