Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pro 3130 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried everything there is to fix it.

PC crashed one night, and then after reboot, my sound is gone. I can see the Sound icon on the task bar, I can increase-decrease sound volume, just NO SOUND. Whenever I try to "TEST" my current hardware (say I use Headphones), I only get "Error! Failed to play test tone".

Several fixes on the internet, I've tried them ALL.

Sfc/scannow -> No integrity problem found.

Services -> Restarted Windows Audio -> Several times

Registry -> Gave Local Machine Admin access -> No dice.

Chkdsk, etc -> Nada

Uninstall / delete / burn / kill etc. Drivers for Nvidia & Realtek High Definition Audio -> Nope.

Properties / Advanced / change default format (whatever I put there) -> "Error! Format not supported by the device".

Strangely enough, when I uninstall the drivers, they seem to AUTO-reinstall, as in I do scan for hardware changes and it doesn't ask me what I want to do, they're reinstalled in a matter of 5".

Also, when I check the driver details, and I get say "C:windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys, I can't delete this file, either as admin, or as elevated cmd & Delete, or even after allocating ownership to my own name.

Need I go to safemode just to delete this file, and have windows 10 find it again? Dunno.

Guys, I've spent more than 4 days straight, trying to fight that, nothing works.

I need something else.

I will only reformat the pc as a last resort, my son has tons of games in it, I'm afraid I'll lose 50% of that, and my software as well.

Thanks in advance,

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Technique 1: Restart Windows Audio Service

Follow these steps:

1. Hold Down Windows logo and press R key. A Run discourse box will fly up.

2. Type in services.msc in the run box and tap OK.

3. In right Services Window, discover Windows Audio from the "Name" list and right-tap on it. Snap Restart in the fly up menu. At that point the sound administration will restart.

Technique 2: Disable Audio Enhancements

1. Right-tap on the sound symbol in base right corner of desktop and select Playback devices.

2. Select Speakers and tap on Properties.

3. Tap Enhancements tab. Check the case beside Disable all enhancements (For a few Windows rendition, you may see Disable all sound effects here.), at that point click Apply button.

Experiment with some different other methods from here or here if these strategies don't work for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.