Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

XW6400 workstation not booting - Continous beeping

xw6400 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this (reconditioned) box for many years now and it until a few weeks ago it was trouble free.  I came back into the room from making a brew to see an error message on the screen and the box switching itself off. I rebooted, the machine worked for 30 minutes, then switched itself off again and will not switch back on.  When I plug the power lead in the machine bleeps continuously.  The front light flashes and the 'FDX' and the '1000' lights on the network card flash (TP link card as the built in socket did not like windows 10 creators edition). The fans all come on but the Bist light remains off. I can also here something that sounds like a relay continually switching in or near the power supply. The only way to make it stop is to unplug the power lead

I have

• removed the boot drive which works fine as an external drive elsewhere 
  • replaced the cmos battery
  • removed all 4 DIMM's and tried them singly
  • left the box unplugged for several days then retried
  • tried with the video and network adaptors disconnected
  • It doesn't have a front mounted card reader so I can't try without this as suggested elsewhere in this form
  • Removed an SSD drive and reverted to original hard disk

None of this makes a difference. I suspect power suppy or switch, but the fans are all working. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Level 6
720 699 9 58
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same workstation here. used as  Visiio video server and runs RAID, P410 inside.

the PSU is bad, or the is a short in the system.

ALL PSU made shut off of there is short, (current overload or voltage too low)

to prove there is a short, remove all thing that just unplug.

all sata cables for power. DVD drive?

you dont need  card reader in fact remove it, power to it,  if its shorted it can cause the PSU to shut off.

adding it contradictory. (so much for forum guessing)

even remove  all dmm but one, after above done.

Get it down to a minimum system

PSU >>>MOBO,  CPU, ram 1stick and nothing else, lean it down

if it still fails try a new PSU. ($39 thermtake, 500w) a great deal. and PSU, at newegg , amazon and fleabay, sold.

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tried with all the fans out, lan card and video card out and a single stick. No difference. I have an old smaller box with a working PSU. will see if it will do a minimum boot from that before tomorrow laying out for a new psu. Took an HP pavillion with working PSU to the recyclers a couple of months back......

Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not convinced it is the PSU. With the PSU out of the machine and plugged in It comes on and stays on just fine. The Biss light stays on and I can detect 12.1 volts and 5.1 volts on a peripheral power connector, which seems to be correct within the accuracy of my voltmeter. I can reconnect the auxillary power socket on the motherboard without problem, but when I connect the main power connector the problem re-occurs. There are still a few compoonents such as front panel I can try unplugging from the motherboard, but I dont fancy replacing the motherboard - The last time I replaced one it was to upgrade a 386 to a pentium. I'm a software guy with a decent screwdriver, voltmeter and an engineering background, not a hardware guy. 

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation