oldguy123
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

fn-b no longer turns on/off beats audio in win 7

HP Recommended
h8-1280t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

the fn-b keypress does not turn beats audio on or off.  The key combo no longer works.  I found some reference to hpmsgsvc.exe, but this is not on my computer nor is the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPMSGSVC.exe.  Is there any way to reinstall Beats audio or fix this problem?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @oldguy123,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

As I understand the Fn (function) keys aren't working and you need a way to fix this issue,

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

HPMSGSVC.exe is part of Quick Launch Buttons.  If you uninstall it you will lose that functionality and the ability to use the fn + ( f1 to f12 ). Please uninstall this program from Programs and Features option under Control Panel. Download the software from the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51650.exe

Download this and save it to your Desktop.  When complete, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

Please check if that helps. If the issue persists, I would suggest you try these steps here: 

Click the Start button, then click Run . 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

(ignore the ads, 3rd party link has been sent to ensure your issue is fixed, I'm going beyond my way to help you and if you would like to give me virtual high five, Click on the purple thumbs up 🙂 )

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
oldguy123
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet - thanks for your help.  I installed Quicklaunch SP5160 and now it is installed.   Still no luck.  I also found out that Beats will not produce a sound when the Test Speaker icon is pressed, but the speakers do work.  I think some Microsoft upgrade messed it all up.  I'm guessing I need to reinstall Beats Audio if possible.  Maybe I should leave well enough alone since  Beats equilizer still works properly.   

Can you provide any more help.  Thanks for all the help you did provide.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @oldguy123,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already tried to install HP Quick launch and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

I'd like to know if you are having issues with the speaker or with the headphones not working?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Uninstall the audio drivers from Device manager:

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.

Later install the drivers from recovery manager from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04762483 and install only the audio drivers. Then check again if this does the trick for you.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
oldguy123
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks - I'll try it when I have more time.  Thanks again for all your help

0 Kudos
oldguy123
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

H- Jeet - thanks for the help.  I did as you said and installed sp55652 audio driver.  All went well until about half way through reinstall when an error message poped up and said something like my computer can't install this driver and operation is terminated.  I didn't know know how to get the original driver back, so I used system restor which worked.

The prob still exists, but the speakers and headphones work ok.  I've decided to leave well enough alone.  If something else ceases to function which can't be easily fixed, I will use hp system restore and reinstall everything.

Thanks for your help.  I have no idea what's wrong, but I'll make do as it is.

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear that you are able to get audio from headphone and speaker. 

Please do post on our HP Forums for any technical assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation