Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

windows 10 update and headphone jack no longer works. i've tried downloading many drivers however either none will finish loading or do load bt don't fix the issue. the speakers still work, not very loud though they do work. i looks stupid carrying my laptop around at my ear to hear it working, with no headphone jack working makes the unit a $1000 paper weight in trying to use it on a plane. 

any help would be appreciated.

regards

peter

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @poida67,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to use the headphone jack on your X2 computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you performed an audio test on your computer?

Have you tried multiple headphones?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here

Once all the drivers are updated, check if you get audio from headphones. 

If the issue persists, shut down the computer. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 repeatedly on startup to enter system diagnostics. Click here

Run an audio test on your computer while the headphones are connected. 

If you still do not get a sound from the headphones, please contact our phone support to have the headphone jack checked. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all of this before, i followed the instruction on the HP website in the support section. Didn't fix it, though i tried it again. Still hasn't fixed it.

Now you do have an opportunoity to fix something.

Frustrated that a $1k notebook is a paperweight, I decided to do a hard reset. I've followed the instrucitons on the HP website and the instrucitons in Windows 10. The notebook has now frozen, it won't take any commands.

It now presents a black screen with wite type from the upper left hand corner over three lines.

Says to press volume up to progress, or volume down to not too. 

I pressed the volume up button, nothing has hapopened in 8 hours. I've powered down and restarted the notebook a few times, just doesn't take any commands.

If was wasn't a $1,000 paperweight, it now is. 

This notebook was my spare backup, has been used probably 30-40 times only over the past 4 years. Disappointing that I thought HP was a quality brand. 

I don't think i will depart with my money on a HP product again, unless you can resolve this issue.

HP Recommended

hi Chimney_83

I had some success in that my hard reset has worked and I now have a fresh install on windows 10.

i'm doing all the updates now so I have the latest of everything, bios, windows updates, firmware.

once this is done, I'll go over your detailed instructions again and give it another go

I'll let you know how I get along.

thanks for your patience with a frustrated and grumpy middle-aged man. 🙂

Peter

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

product is 

HP ENVY x2 11-g001tu

product number is C8C42PA#ABG

diagnostics test through bios for audio is not supported on my system

drivers etc are the most up to date according to the tests and troubleshooting done

though IDT HD audio codec is not loaded, the following are loaded

intel sst audio device (wdm) & realtek I2S audio codec

i"ll call phone support now

peter

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying all the troubleshooting steps suggested. Try running the troubleshooter as suggested in this HP article

If the issue persists, recommend you contact our phone support to check on the support options available for your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a simiar problem. The problem seems to be at least partially a Windows problem. The headphone jack is categorized  as a "Communications Device". My version of Windows 10 will not allow me to use the headphones as a general output device. Windows seems to insist that headphones are for Skype (or similar) use and the 7.1 sound system is for everything else.

I don't want a 7.1 surfround sound system in my study (a place of quiet), I want headphones.

I suspect that the above is the crux of the matter.

HP Recommended
I've an HP Pavilion and the sound system gives me more trouble than anything I've ever known.
By pure luck / trial and error, I stumbled upon this fix for getting the headphones to work again:
Go to Sound.
Then Change System Sounds.
A box opens up with the speakers and headphones icons.
Double click on the headphones one. Another box opens up. Click on Advanced.
Underneath the 2 channel 16 bit nonsense you'll see another small rectangular box Exclusive Mode with 2 options:
'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.'
and
'Give exclusive mode applications priority'

Un-tick both of these boxes and OK at the bottom of the panel.
Worked immediately for me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.