cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jadami
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

no sound from headphones or speakers - drivers all ok and level indicators display green bars

HP Recommended
hp-1240t desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Everything worked fine until I tried to connect to a Google Hangout yesterday using Firefox.  Now there is no sound coming out of either the speakers or headphone jacks even though the level indicators are displaying as if there is. All drivers are installed properly according to diagnostics. I fhave exhausted the hp and microsoft troubleshooter suggestions. What do I need to do to get sound ?.

6 REPLIES 6
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @jadami,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with no sound coming from either speakers or headphones on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to perform a System restore to a previous date where it was all working fine?

Have you tried to update the drivers using windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to run the test on the audio card?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the Desktop

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

If the issue started recently, I would suggest here is to perform a System restore to a previous date where it was all working fine, for more assistance, please follow this link: HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the audio drivers - Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and Audio drivers on the PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Click here for instruction on running a hardware test on the sound card if the issue persists after the above steps are complete.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jadami
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. I am unable to perform a system restore to a previous date since there is not one set up.

2. I have deleted an unpdated the drivers multiple times to no avail.

3. When I run a test, the green sound level indicators display; however, there is no sound in coming from the output to the speakers or headphones.  There is a single "puff" sound from the speakers when I reboot the system when there should be a system chime.

4. I did a hard reset and reboot several times - most recently as per your instructions below.

5. I had already, using the troubleshooter, reset my Bios to the default - but that did not help.

6. I am using the latest version of Windows 10  Home and the link below only displays options for Win 7 or Win 8.

7. I am unable to pull up the  HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI Menu screen when I reboot pressing the F2 key. It goes directly into a video diagnostics mode - unless I am doing something incorrectly. I am unable to see any options for a

Sound diagnostics. 

8. The link under "Installing the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics

HP occasionally makes updates to its HP PC Hardware Diagnostics environment. To download the latest version, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website." does not work. I get an Oops page.
Is there a direct link you can send me? 

9. At this point I am thinking that the something about the sound card is corrupted - but the drivers indicate that everything is running correctly.  What sound card would I need to purchase that would be compatible with my 1240t Desktop?

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @jadami,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post, I did go through the software and driver download page and found that there are no drivers available for Windows 10, and this could be one of the reason why you are not able to install the drivers. Before you come to any conclusion regarding the hardware issue. I would recommend you perform a system recovery using the recovery media, If you have created soon after purchase of PC. If you haven't created one, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support to order one. 

Once you receive the recovery media, please go ahead and install the Operating system and then check if that helps.

If the issue persists, then we know it's an hardware issues and since the sound card is integrated on the Motherboard, If you wish you to have the unit repaired, you can contact our HP phone support and they would help you setup a service. If the product is out of warranty, there would be a charge involved for the repair.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jadami
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not want to do a system restore at this point as I do not want to go back.  The sound has been fine with Win 10 for almost a year! Stopped working when trying to use Google Hangout with Firefox.

Having tried all of the the other options suggested, it would seem to be much easier just to get another sound card.

Will an external usb sound adapter work with my computer?  Otherwise, any suggestions on a compatible sound card model?

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @jadami,

Thank you replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As you have diagnosed the issue to be with the sound card and you would like to know if you can purchase an external sound card which is compatible with your PC? Yes, you can purchase a external USB sound card which should help. However, HP does not recommend any upgrade or downgrade of any parts, however, you can do it at your own discretion.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards, ​​​​​​​

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Thom_Johns
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey jadami,

What model of soundcard were you using? I installed a creative labs audigy 5/rx card into my HP desktop and have zero audio, despite all drivers installed and all looks fine.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation