Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP SFF DC 7900
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

since falls creator update some months agon now I havelost sound, I have trawled the intenet trying everyting wihtout success,

if I right click on the psekaer icon the ladder shows a message of speaker setup (unknown) and if i highlight this option a side message says OFF.

I would really apreciate suggestions on how to get sound back, I have wasted so much time with this .

thanks 

Dave

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, Dave:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to install the W7 soundmax audio driver from your PC's support page.

This package contains the driver for the ADI High-Definition (HD) Audio CODEC in the supported desktop models and operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45615.exe

I have a dc7800 and dc7900, and I have had to reinstall the W7 soundmax audio driver on the last two updates to W10 (creators edition and fall creators edition).

The sound works fine for me from both the onboard PC speaker and via a set of external PC speakers.

After you install the W7 soundmax driver, click on the soundmax control icon (kind of a black and white striped thing), check the enable multistreaming box, restart the PC.

Then go to the windows control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices, and select the PC speakers as the default.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

Thanks foryour reply,

i have tried this preiously  and following your advice I have just tried again. unfortunately it did nto work.

the speakr icon shows ok and there is no red cross etc. but when I right click on the speaker icon  get an options ladder with playback devices and recording devices etc but it also has a listing of :

speaker setup (Not Known). and if I hover the curser over this option there is an OFF listing appears to the left. I have tried to click on that but it just disapears with no effect.

I think this is suggesting there is someting missing somewhere but I cant work it out.

thanks again

Much obliged for your advice.

Regards

Dave

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Dave.

Sorry that didn't work for you.

Not sure why it didn't though. 

I hope the next update to W10 doesn't knock the sound out from my two PC's which currently have the sound working just fine.

In any event, if you can't figure it out, you may just want to invest in a cheap external USB audio adapter.

That's what I plan to do if it happens to me again, and I can't fix it.

This seems to be one that is popular...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I will have to look into that, 

or maybe new pc

thanks agian tho

Regards

Dave

HP Recommended

Anytime, Dave.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended
Did you ever find a solution as I am having the see problem
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.