Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought new All in 1 pc with windows 10 to replace my older windows 7 pc. I also purchased external HP speakers. the computer comes with internal microphones on top of monitor for camera (which I haven't even used yet) and has speakers in base of computer.I have HP speakers plugged into only round hole that takes plug :(set up instructions label it as "Audio-out(headphone)/Audio-in (microphone) combo jack. 

When I click on a site that has volume or music such as you tube, no sound comes out of the speakers. The sound does come out of the internal speakers once I unplug the cord.  If I unplug the speakers, then plug them back in, then the sound comes out of the external speakers. Had no issues on my old pc that had external speakers.

thank you for any help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you have the external speakers plugged in, you may have to manually set them as the default output.

Go to the Windows control panel>Hardware & Sound>Sound>Manage audio devices and see if you can set the external speakers as the default.  They may even be labeled as headphones.

HP Recommended

When I go there, the button down below for "set default" is grayed out and unable to be clicked on.

It shows me an icon of a speaker that says "speaker/headphone" that has a green check mark under it.

Also below that is a line that says "realtek(R) audio", and below that another that says "default device". they are both grayed out as well. 

HP Recommended

OK, so Windows automatically sets the external speakers/headphones as the default.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem could be then.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying. This whole windows 10/new pc  transition has been one huge nightmare. 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.