Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 260 G1 DM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd just bought this wee PC with no OS but had no difficulty installing Win10 on to the tiny 32GB M.2 SSD. I also added a further 64GB mini-SSD using the correct SATA cable - again this worked as it should; both drives appeared on My PC and operated as they should.

All was well and all the driver & security updates installed correctly via Windows Update. Then I signed up for HP's support and downloaded their automatic updater which came up with a further list of recommended updates for my specific PC. The first one I went for was BIOS as it showed the one on my device dated back to around 2015 or '16, the birth date of my PC. I sat back and let the installer work its magic. It finished with 'restarting', but when it shut off it didn't reboot, although the power light was lit.

The PC wouldn't respond to mouse click or keyboard press so I had to power it off and then back on and was met with a message stating along the lines that 'my drive is missing or failed'. I also had 'no O/S' come up, so I attempted to reinstall Win10 via a USB stick. This started off ok but then it arrived at the stage where you had to choose which drive to put it the O/S on - and none were listed.

I can get in to BIOS setup, but again the SSD doesn't appear when I try and list the drives.

In 'Boot Order' I get this:

UEFI Boot Sources

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive

UEFI: IPv4 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

UEFI: IPv6 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Legacy Boot Sources: Disabled.

I have read with horror some associated threads on this kind of issue. I have yet to read in any of them an actual solution from HP - one person had his CMOS chip removed, reflashed and refitted!

Can anyone suggest how to proceed on this please?

Thansk.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

After a few attempts at sorting this with HP's technical chat support, HP concluded that my 'system was corrupted' and 'would I like a quote for a replacement motherboard...?!'

Hewlett Packard - THIS WAS CAUSED BY YOUR BIOS UPDATER which I followed to the letter!

As the PC was not worth much, I sold it on for 'spares or repair' with an explanation of what had happened. The buyer has just reported back to me that he has succeeded in sorting the issue, although it was "a real challenge".

Following the BIOS update I'd made via the HP website, the chip had a mix of old and new BIOS versions on it, so it could not recognise the SSD or memory. He tried all the 'usual tricks' to sort this to no avail; I presume by that he means trying to flash it from a USB or similar.  Finally he ended up spending a few hours "building an external drive that would load Windows, and then re-built the BIOS from there".

That is all beyond me, but it's good to hear that it looks as tho' it can be sorted, and without resorting to replacing the bIOS chip or MOBO.

Hope this is of help, although it's clearly a fairly involved process - it would have been beyond me even with guidance. However, I hope it might also show that these faults don't necessarily require a new BIOS chip or even a whole MOBO.

Very disappointed in HP, tho'.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.