Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
23-q120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen many posts about the 3 long beeps 4 short beeps on startup issue, with varying results.  My issue is definitely power supply related.  I order an identical PS to the original (579799-001), which did not fix the issue.  I tried a 90W HP supply (608428-003) with smart pin and this one solves the problem.  No beeps, boots right up.  However, this is not a permanent fix, as its underpowered.  I also used a PS from a 23-h027c (677762-002) which worked fine.  No beeps, boots right up.  The common problem is the 579799-001 PS, which causes the issue.   I am struggling to figure out what the issue is with the original PS.   Does the PC expect the smart pin?  What is the difference between the 579799 and the 608428/677762???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I may not have been clear enough in my initial post.  With the original OEM PS, the machine WOULD eventually boot after the beep code sounded off 5 times.  (highly annoying)

***UPDATE*** a new 120W PS just arrived.  One WITH the internal smart pin.  And the error is gone.  So, I HAVE TO assume that  the problem all along was that even though this device was shipped with a PS w/o the smart pin, for some reason, this device REQUIRES the PS with s smart pin.  Personally, I think that HP should reimburse me for the 2 supplies that i purchased trying to troubleshoot this, but Im sure that wont happen.   

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Klavant

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer as it's not powering on. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

See the below motherboard configuration: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04649561

External 90W (100V-240V)

• Total wattage: 90W

• Nominal input voltage range: 100-240V (50-60Hz)

• Dimensions: 134 mm x 58 mm x 31 mm (5.2 x 2.2 x 1.2 inches)

• Output voltage: 19.5V

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. 
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I may not have been clear enough in my initial post.  With the original OEM PS, the machine WOULD eventually boot after the beep code sounded off 5 times.  (highly annoying)

***UPDATE*** a new 120W PS just arrived.  One WITH the internal smart pin.  And the error is gone.  So, I HAVE TO assume that  the problem all along was that even though this device was shipped with a PS w/o the smart pin, for some reason, this device REQUIRES the PS with s smart pin.  Personally, I think that HP should reimburse me for the 2 supplies that i purchased trying to troubleshoot this, but Im sure that wont happen.   

HP Recommended

@ Echo_Lake....Im not sure which MoBo this is, but it cant be the one in the 23-q120 that i am working on.   Can it?  Also, during my troubleshooting, initially the beep code sounded 4 times and then booted.  I upgraded the BIOS in the middle of this debacle and low and behold, after the BIOS update....the device would not boot until after the 5th time the beep code sounded off.  So this also tells me that the BIOS is involved.  Bottom line, i think the BIOS does expect the smart pin to be present.   How else can you explain the fact that any PS without the pin produces the error and any PS with the pin does not?  they all were providing the proper voltage.  

HP Recommended

@Klavant

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue with the new 120W PS. To get the answer to this question, it's the compatibility issue with the PS without a PIN. HP does not recommend to use Third-party hardware or parts as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.