Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

303 HD Failure Code.

HP Compaq pro 5305 05FF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been getting the "Blue Screen of Death" and  "Ah Snap!" errors when using my browser, Google Chrome.  I did the HP Diagnostics UEFI on the hard drive and it generated a Failure Code 303 on the short test.

Two questions:

(1)  Is there a "fix" or does the hard drive need replacing?

(2)  I have an external HD dock to which I have cloned my drive.  If the HD in the compter needs replace, can I just swap the faulty HD with my clone without redoing the operating system?  This may be a basic question, but at 74 years of age I need plain simple answers and a lot of reasurance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

303 HD Failure Code.

Hi dahermit

Nice!

An HP HDD diagnostic error code usually indicates a HDD failure.

You should be able to install the cloned HDD.

Can I ask what cloning software you used and did you verify the clone? You will lose all data added to your existing HDD after the clone was created. You may be able to acquire the additional data from the failing HDD by mounting this HDD.

Remove the target drive from the chassis, install the cloned drive into the chassis, and you should be back in business.

Let the forum know if you need additional assistance.

Details can be provided but you seem to be computer savvy. Don't want to create complexity if it is not needed.

Kudos.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
6 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

303 HD Failure Code.

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi dahermit

Nice!

An HP HDD diagnostic error code usually indicates a HDD failure.

You should be able to install the cloned HDD.

Can I ask what cloning software you used and did you verify the clone? You will lose all data added to your existing HDD after the clone was created. You may be able to acquire the additional data from the failing HDD by mounting this HDD.

Remove the target drive from the chassis, install the cloned drive into the chassis, and you should be back in business.

Let the forum know if you need additional assistance.

Details can be provided but you seem to be computer savvy. Don't want to create complexity if it is not needed.

Kudos.

Tom

The program I used to make the clone was "Reflect".  If I am not mistaken, the program verifies the clone when finished...but I am not sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

303 HD Failure Code.

Hi

I use Macrium Reflect free edition also. A clone is a bootable copy (plug and play) of the original HDD. An image must be restored to a HDD or SSD using Windows PE and bootable rescue media (USB or disc) which should be created for recovery purposes. This media is needed when you have the situation you are facing; the source HDD is failing and you have an external backup image that needs to be moved to a different target HDD.

You should be able to swap the HDD's and fire up your PC with good results if you have cloned the source HDD to the target external HDD.

If you have used Macrium Reflect to create an image on the target HDD then the second HDD will not load Windows. It is an image of the operating system and data captured at the time the image was created.

Tom

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation