Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

3F0 but hard drive passes

HP 24G-009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 2.5 year old all in one HP computer. Every couple of days I will see the blue screen on my all in one with the 3F0 error boot disk not found. Turning it on and off doesn't fix the problem but clicking F2, running the diagnostics and doing a hard drive check, the computer boots back into Windows normally. I ran every check on the computer and it always passes.  I have no idea why it works ok doing the hard drive test but every so often gives this screen. It's annoying.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

24G-009 does not allow me to look at your specific model.

Check out this link to HP Support for Notebook PC's with a UEFI BIOS.

There are a couple of additional troubleshooting steps you can do.

It sounds as if the HDD needs to be reseated if the HDD is passing diagnostics tests.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My mistake. It's a 23-g239c.

I don't even know how to open the computer let alone reseat it. Desktops and notebooks seem to be more accessible than all-in-ones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Try suggested stuff in previous HP Support link.

AIO's are somewhat easier than Notebooks to open chassis and work in.

Take your PC to a local tech if you are not in HP warranty.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to call the number HP sent me or free diagnostics and support but it said it wasn't in service. I called the Canada HP service number ans they wanted $69 plus tax for a one time service call and they couldn't guarantee it would be fixed - hard to justify.

Anyhow here's a play by play what happens

1- Get blue screen 3F0 boot error

2- Shut down, click F2 and run a quick hard drive test. It always passes both. Then I click the exit button. It says "Are you sure?" I click know and it boots back into windows no problem. It works fine for usually 2-3 days but invariably the screen comes up again.

I also ran the extensive test and other component tests and everything passes. I also ran a virus check with nothing found.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Goldster

You have an intermittent hardware problem.

For the heck of it run the System file Checker to see if you have system file corruption.

My guess without access to your PC is a bad HDD connection to the motherboard, either data or power. A failing HDD or the motherboard (MB) disk controller is failing.

You will have to have a tech take a look to find the point of failure.

A faulty cable or failing HDD is best, least expensive, cause. A failing MB HDD controller means you will have to replace the MB.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue but this time it just shut down and says stop code: bad system config info.

How do I find an authorized HP technician?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I ran the SFC and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

I purchased the computer from Costco who wouldn't have a repair service. I'm leery of The Geek Squad.
How do I find an authorized service place in my area? Again the computer was purchased in April 2015 and had a 2 year warranty but it expired in April. I actually sent it in for a repair under warranty last year for a similar issue. I guess thry never fully fixed it. Oh well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Goldster

I think you should have a local PC technician check your PC since you are out of warranty and may not want to open the AIO up to check connections and maybe try a new (replace) the CR2032 motherboard battery. Replacing this battery will reset CMOS.

It sounds like a component is failing or something is amiss in the BIOS as you are now getting a system configuration error.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Every couple of days I will see the blue screen on my all in one with the 3F0 error boot disk not found.

> Turning it on and off doesn't fix the problem ...

You have an intermittent hardware problem.

It probably is the disk-drive that intermittently shuts itself off, or stops responding.

Or, it could be your Windows "Power" settings -- currently set to put the computer (and the disk-drive) to "sleep" after a period of inactivity, and then the disk-drive not "waking" properly.

Change the "Power" settings to "maximum performance" and "never sleep", and wait for a reoccurrence.

More drastic: replace the disk-drive -- you could use "disk-cloning" sotware to copy from "source" to "target".

Even more drastic: replace the motherboard, if it is not correctly "waking" a sleeping disk-drive.

Most drastic: replace the computer.

Final solution: build your own log-cabin in the woods, and go completely "off-the-grid" -- no computer at all.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation