Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion (24-b030)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my All-in-One. About a month ago I started getting the 3F5 hard drive error on bootup. After doing the diagnostics on the hard drive (quick and extended), it could find no issue. I would still periodically received these errors. I ended up replacing the hard drive and all was ok for about a week and then they came back. Obviously the issue is not the hard drive but something else. I have updated the the PC to the latest drivers with the HP app. There is really nothing else I can do. I also ran Speccy and it also found no errors. Now, when I boot up, I still get the error and then it wants to fix the PC with windows recovery. Recovery recommends I reboot the PC and it works.......this issue is so wierd. FYI, I did a clean install with the new hard drive...no cloning. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks,

Ryan

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Strange.

Plugging the HDD into another SATA port makes a difference?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. To answer your question......

THis is an All-in-On computer. Do you know if there would be another SATA port available? When I opened it up, I was just focused on replacing the HD. The cable running to the drive was just a single cable. I am not sure on the other end if another SATA port is present. I could open it up again, but thought I would ask first.

I can leave this PC on for days without issue......the problem only occurs if I reboot. It is strange.

Thanks,

Ryan

HP Recommended

Hi

Probably only a single port.

So a reboot problem?

PWR and LID.png

The above is a Laptop piccy, but the Fast Start Up is relevant.

TURN OFF Fast Start Up.   Try again.

HP Recommended

Hi LBB,

Thanks for the support. Fast startup is already disabled on my computer. Also, I would say it is a boot up problem....however it did give me the 3F5 once with the new hard drive when the computer was already booted. This hasn't happened in a couple weeks though. I just now set the hard drive sleep time to "Never". Also, my new drive is a solid state drive.

Thanks,

Ryan

HP Recommended

So what do you reboot to?

A boot manager with a SATA drive listed, or a boot manager with only the SSD listed?

This dog don't do piccies properly.

HP Recommended

Let me make sure I understand the question.....

Basically I just replaced the mechanical hard drive in the PC with a solid state version. I reloaded windows and that was about it. There is only one drive in the system. Are you asking me if I boot to the solid state drive? If so, yes.

HP Recommended

No.

Now I have my lappy to hand...

BIOS Boot One.pngF5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.

There is a Boot ORDER, DVD, USB, HDD etc  and then I have a BOOT MANAGER listing.

The device is listed ST is my seagate drive then whether it's a Windows or a SuSE or Debian or Ubuntu that loads.

It makes a difference, some of my OS's fail because they are Legacy and cannot Secure Boot, so I switch to that Boot Manager.

So if you have a boot manager calling a HDD with no OS on ??????????????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.