4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

3F5 Error on HP Pavillion (24-b030)

HP Recommended
Pavilion (24-b030)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my All-in-One. About a month ago I started getting the 3F5 hard drive error on bootup. After doing the diagnostics on the hard drive (quick and extended), it could find no issue. I would still periodically received these errors. I ended up replacing the hard drive and all was ok for about a week and then they came back. Obviously the issue is not the hard drive but something else. I have updated the the PC to the latest drivers with the HP app. There is really nothing else I can do. I also ran Speccy and it also found no errors. Now, when I boot up, I still get the error and then it wants to fix the PC with windows recovery. Recovery recommends I reboot the PC and it works.......this issue is so wierd. FYI, I did a clean install with the new hard drive...no cloning. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks,

Ryan

7 REPLIES 7
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 701
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Strange.

Plugging the HDD into another SATA port makes a difference?

0 Kudos
Korpz
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. To answer your question......

THis is an All-in-On computer. Do you know if there would be another SATA port available? When I opened it up, I was just focused on replacing the HD. The cable running to the drive was just a single cable. I am not sure on the other end if another SATA port is present. I could open it up again, but thought I would ask first.

I can leave this PC on for days without issue......the problem only occurs if I reboot. It is strange.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 701
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Probably only a single port.

So a reboot problem?

PWR and LID.png

The above is a Laptop piccy, but the Fast Start Up is relevant.

TURN OFF Fast Start Up.   Try again.

0 Kudos
Korpz
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi LBB,

Thanks for the support. Fast startup is already disabled on my computer. Also, I would say it is a boot up problem....however it did give me the 3F5 once with the new hard drive when the computer was already booted. This hasn't happened in a couple weeks though. I just now set the hard drive sleep time to "Never". Also, my new drive is a solid state drive.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 701
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So what do you reboot to?

A boot manager with a SATA drive listed, or a boot manager with only the SSD listed?

This dog don't do piccies properly.

0 Kudos
Korpz
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me make sure I understand the question.....

Basically I just replaced the mechanical hard drive in the PC with a solid state version. I reloaded windows and that was about it. There is only one drive in the system. Are you asking me if I boot to the solid state drive? If so, yes.

0 Kudos
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 701
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No.

Now I have my lappy to hand...

BIOS Boot One.pngF5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.

There is a Boot ORDER, DVD, USB, HDD etc  and then I have a BOOT MANAGER listing.

The device is listed ST is my seagate drive then whether it's a Windows or a SuSE or Debian or Ubuntu that loads.

It makes a difference, some of my OS's fail because they are Legacy and cannot Secure Boot, so I switch to that Boot Manager.

So if you have a boot manager calling a HDD with no OS on ??????????????

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation