Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-110
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This is the second time that I've gotten the "no boot device found" in about a year. The first time my pc was still under warranty. Now its not. I've never had a problem with other computers I've owned. But this HP desktop is trash. I just lost over a years worth of pictures and videos that I'll never get back. FOR THE SECOND TIME! I've done the hard drive tests and it passed. I've tried enabling legacy and nothing. I've followed the support article for just such an occasion. Nothing helped. So now I'm out a $1200 PC, pictures and videos, work material, and stocks all because HP can't build quality computers

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That error typically means something has corrupted the boot sector or the hard drive has failed.  Since you have done the diagnostics, F2 and hard drive passed, that is a good thing.  That means there is a good possibility that the data can be saved.

The spec page for that model indicates it came with Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit), so unless you changed that to 32bit, I would expect that to be correct.

First - computers are just machines and things happen to machines all the time.  That is why there are repair shops.  To say the HP PC is not a quality machine is pointless, unfounded and not really helping.  I can help you through this problem if you wish.

BTW & FYI: making backups of the data on the hard drive is the users responsibility and not HP or Microsoft.  It is meant to be a safeguard for the data just in case a failure (like what just happened to you) occurs.  Since that has not been done, there might be a remedy, but not a guarantee.

Since the PC will not boot with that error, there are choices as to how you wish to proceed.  Before making any changes to the PC in question, located a working PC and make either a Windows 10 install media by going to the Microsoft Media Creation tool:

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB.

Boot the problem PC to this new media and pick "Repair this PC" instead of "Install"  If the repair does not work, then proceed to making a Linux Live DVD or USB flash stick.  Ubuntu is easy to use.  Boot to the Live option, so as to not make any changes to the hard drive and locate the hard drive in the desktop explorer to make sure the hard drive is recognized.  Then proceed to saving the data - pictures, videos and work documents to a separate media IE: DVD, external hard drive, or Flash drive.  Ubuntu is very similar to Windows as you can click and paste or drag the data to the other media.

Once that has been done, disconnect the media that was used for data saving, and boot to the Windows 10 media and reinstall Windows 10.  If that fails, replace the hard drive and proceed again with installing Windows from the new media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

that is not true, (zero basis in fact) stocks? no way lost stocks mine are at the bank (not told mine)  no way at all  this.

there are 2 drives which one is  problematic is not disclosed.😐

all HDD fail every single one , most do on avg. 5 year age or dropped, fast fail. 🤔

that is why you are told by ever single PRO and school on earth (IT and comp. science) to BACKUP.! or lose data. !!!

but wait what if it is all still there ?ever think to ask shop tech to look and not lay blame first?

Did the boot drive fail, not told, SSD NVME boot.1 6GB is this really 16GB as the product spec says that is NO GOOD, that is bad.  too small, and boot files are missing or RTC coin cell battery is dead, does BIOS work and have correct time and date and the BIOS show boot order too NVME 16GB dinky drive is it must?

windows update will kill any 16GB hdd dead FULL. (but fix is easy) ask.

or that 1TB HD? what drive has your data please tell that first (where data is missing) my guess thinking it is and is not.

and you do not use the cloud or other external backups so data lost is in your future (the rules of PC are hard bound in facts)

no HDD lasts forever.

to fix the boot drive will be tricky, what to do is find away to delete unused things on the SSD, 16GB.

I boot to test media to examine the NVME for (dead or just full) one must check it for full FOR SURE.

HP does not make and HDD

just like your CAR the maker does not make tires, same thing exactly and pure reality. (we learn this and do the job backkup)

and sorry for your grief and  I bet the data is there, but no  dead drive told. not even a clue only a rant. wasted.

ALL PCs on earth HDD fail its fact. every one, even huge web site vast servers do.

my wild guess is the 16GB silly SSD is full.  and is silly to have that there, that is for sure, MS will tell you the SAME THING.

it is too small.

per this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05813246

sorry for sure.😂

last one of these silly 16GB I cured, I cloned to 256GB SSD and still runs today ok. we smashed the 16GB drive to bits.

friends do not let friend use this drive (tiny) unless running freedos. (LOL)😎

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

The repair failed and I can't even get ubuntu to install on the USB to load into the computer

HP Recommended

I always used a DVD but here is a tutorial to make the USB on a working Windows PC

https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

If you wish to make the DVD, download the same ISO as the one for the USB but all you need after that is a DVD burning software IE: ImgBurn

https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

Start ImgBurn and and pick write image file to disk.  Give the ISO file location - or double click on the ISO file and ImgBurn should start and tell which DVD drive where the writable DVD is located and tell it to burn

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.