Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp compaq pro 6200

When I turn the computer on, it beeps 5 times and blinks a red light. I've read that it was a RAM problem. I recently have been trying to build a new computer, so I put the ram from my compaq into the new computer, which didn't want to work. So I put the ram back into my Compaq Pro so I could use it in the meantime and then it started beeping and flashing the red light. Could I have ruined the ram stick by putting it in a different motherboard that may be incompatible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The quickspecs link includes the MT and SFF which is shown on page 1.

I have given you all the help that I can.

Have a good night.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you are correct.

It is a memory issue of some kind.

The first thing I would try would be to firmly reseat the memory.

Sometimes you think it is in there good, but it really isn't.

See the service manual below, appendix C, page 257 to fully troubleshoot the 5 beep code error.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04224518

HP Recommended

I have taken it out and put it back in multiple times.

HP Recommended

Then it must have gone bad somehow.

HP Recommended

Do you think buying another ram stick will make it work?

HP Recommended

That's a good question.

Was that the only memory stick in the PC?

If not, you can swap it out with one of the other sticks and if it still beeps, then you can probably replace it with a new one of the same spec.

HP Recommended

There were two, and i've tried swapping them. I'm wondering if I messed up the ram stick or maybe the connector is broken. I'd think i might've messed it up trying to put it in an incompatible motherboard or while i was swapping them I broke them.

HP Recommended

It is pretty hard to put incompatible memory in a PC, because the notches are cut in different places for DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 memory chips.  They wouldn't physically fit in the slot.

If the other memory chip goes in the slot OK, then the memory you removed must have been damaged somehow.

I guess the only way you will know is to buy another chip and see if it works.

HP Recommended

Maybe the motherboard fried my ram or something? Or I wasn't handling it properly and it got damaged.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is very possible.

I have heard of folks frying the memory because of static discharge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.