Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1402el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My pc is not booting! When I try to turn on it, my pc gives me 5 long beeps and repeat the sequence. All fans and leds work, but no signal on monitor. What does 5 long beeps mean?

I tried to boot without nvidia video card,  with a only one ram card, without any ram card, without harddrives, but it still  gives me 5 long beeps. I checked power supply voltages and they are ok, cpu seems ok (no sign of burning). 

Motherboard problem maybe?

specs:

12gb ram ddr3 (2 x 2 GB, 2 x 4 GB)

i7 3770k

nvidia gtx 660

motherboard ipmmb-fm

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

Possible answer

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

System board
LEDs blink 5 times
General system board failure
Contact support for repair.

OR

System board
5.2 (blink)
Caps lock LED blinks slow 5 times followed by 2 quick blinks.
The embedded controller cannot find valid firmware.
Be sure the battery is installed in the computer and it has sufficient power before continuing. Due to the design of the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller, the power supply must be disconnected and the computer must be powered with battery power to reset the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller.
  1. Unplug the AC power from the computer.
  2. Press and hold the power button for more than 12 seconds.
  3. Release the power button (after at least 12 seconds).
  4. The computer will power on and should boot normally after releasing the power button.
  5. Re-connect the AC power to the computer.
System board
5.3 (blink)
Caps Lock LED blinks slow 5 times followed by 3 quick blinks.
The embedded controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS.
Remove all accessory devices from the notebook.
If the error code persists, contact support for possible repair.
System board
5.4 (blink/beep)
Caps Lock LED blinks slow 5 times followed by 4 quick blinks, accompanied by beeps (lower tone and higher tone).
The embedded controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS to return from system board initialization (end of POST).

But the above is not an absolute.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.