Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8200 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have seen many posts were people recommend to upgrade to v2.28 because on newer versions the bios would brick, but I saw recently that in the drivers page now you have the option to choose W10 as the operating system, before you had to choose W7. Does this means that now newer bios are compatible with W10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

No, it does not.

It seems that HP has changed the support pages (or maybe there is a bug) that now shows every driver listed on the W10 support page.

The update is still written to be run in W7.  But you have the option to use the F10 setup method to flash the BIOS when you have W10 on there.  Just don't use the Windows based flash method to update the BIOS.

The BIOS updates don't brick the PC. 

What v2.29 and later do, is if you have W10 installed in legacy mode, the PC takes over 2 minutes to restart from a warm boot.

If you install W10 in EFI mode, the PC will function normally.

If you update to 2.28 in legacy mode, you don't have the long restart problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

No, it does not.

It seems that HP has changed the support pages (or maybe there is a bug) that now shows every driver listed on the W10 support page.

The update is still written to be run in W7.  But you have the option to use the F10 setup method to flash the BIOS when you have W10 on there.  Just don't use the Windows based flash method to update the BIOS.

The BIOS updates don't brick the PC. 

What v2.29 and later do, is if you have W10 installed in legacy mode, the PC takes over 2 minutes to restart from a warm boot.

If you install W10 in EFI mode, the PC will function normally.

If you update to 2.28 in legacy mode, you don't have the long restart problem.

HP Recommended

So, i just have to update it to a newer version (v2.33 for example) using the F10 setup method an it's fine?

HP Recommended

Yes, as long as you didn't install W10 in legacy mode.

If you update to 2.33 and you did not install W10 in EFI mode, then the PC will take over 2 minutes to restart from a warm boot, unless you hide the TPM device in the BIOS's security menu, or go back and reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

HP Recommended

So, I checked and i have w10 installed in EFI mode, so i decided to install the v2.33 bios, it installed ok but it has been almost 20 minutes and it's stuck in te Windows boot logo 😕

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't know why that would have happened.

You may need to reinstall W10 if it doesn't sort itself out.

HP Recommended

Should I restart de pc? I suppose the bios has already installed itself

HP Recommended

If you used the F10 Setup flash method, yes the BIOS was already updated.

If you used the Windows based flash (which I told you not to do), I don't know.

But probably the BIOS has been updated either way, or it would be stuck on an earlier screen.

HP Recommended

Yep, I used the F10 method. Just restarting the pc solved the problem, now is running fine, thanks!

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad it is working fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.