Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Administrative Password

Pavillon
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

My mother is the victim of a scammer and now her computer is needing an "administrator password" to unlock it.  We have contacted HP and the backup does not complete.  My sister is backing it up to 1TB external drive.  She said she is running it without the internet in case there is something there.  If we can get past the administrator password, we can probably to a system restore to a safe point. Wait, can this be done without the internet.  :-s

I am not blaming my mother for this, but these scammers have got to go!!!  Luckily I caught it in time so that she didn't keep going back for more. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Administrative Password

There are several points where a password may need to be entered:

1. When powering-on the computer.

2. When an encrypted disk-drive must be accessed.

3. In the middle of loading Windows, because the Windows Account Database has been encrypted (by the scammer).

4. At the Windows "logon" screen (password set/changed by the scammer).

5. By some "rogue" software (installed by the scammer).

Which is the case for your computer?

The scammer may have made some other changes.

A "best practises" approach demands that you backup the Personal Files, "wipe" the disk-drive, and re-install Windows from trusted media.

Also, see:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/I-forgot-my-password-can-HP-hel...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Administrative Password

I am guessing it is 3.  When you restart the computer it goes through the startup progress (repair, diagnose, etc) and then a black screen appears that says you need to enter an administrative password.  Evidently my sister has gotten passed that point with the help of an HP support tech, but then it will not finish the backup of the files.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Administrative Password

My sister was trying to back up the personal files when it just stops.  I am to the point of just saying to heck with the personal files and start over, but then again I do not know what my mother has stored on her computer!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Administrative Password

At this point, I would purchase a brand-new disk-drive -- faster, larger capacity, and "in-warranty", connect it to the computer, disconnect the current disk-drive, and reinstall Windows.  Then, temporarily reconnect the old disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and copy the Personal Files from "old" to "new".

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation