Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590pO81c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Pavilion (s.above) was working properly without problems until the latest Windows 10 update last week required a restart to complete. I triggered the restart but the boot process did not complete as expected. It stopped with the error message "Secure Boot Violation / Invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in Setup".

I looked the error-msg up and followed to perform the suggested solutions: Enter BIOS Menu, disable Secure Boot option and enable Legacy Boot Support.

After this the initial error message did not appear anymore - but the system still cannot boot anymore.

As the next step I tried to boot from a Windows 10 installation disc to try the different repair and recovery options.

All available different steps short of installing a brand new OS version, thereby erasing all data, failed.

I used an emergency boot disc based on Windows PE then, with data recovery tools, to maybe save the data on the HD before I am pushing forward with drastic steps like that.

When I successfully booted from the emergency disk I got access to the system - but the local hard drive (listed as: Intel Optane+931GB) showed as non-partioned and needed to be formatted. Which would explain why I was not able to use any repair options.

Do I need to load particular drivers for the HD or other parts in order to get access to the HD or does anybody have any suggestions for me how to go forward in this pretty messy situation? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Is there any idea

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@George_Wall --  Enter BIOS Menu, disable Secure Boot option and enable Legacy Boot Support.

If you "reverse" those changes, does the disk-drive show as partitioned?

It is possible that the first few blocks on the disk-drive, which contain the partitioning information and the "boot-loader" have been overwritten.  You will need an application that "crawls" through the sectors of the disk-drive, one-by-one, to try to "stitch" together the sectors into files that can be copied to a different disk-drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.