Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After upgrading to BIOS 80.21 Rev A, boot problem and function keys not working

Envy 700-159
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer is Envy 700-159, Windows 10 home, 64 bit.  The old version of BIOS was ok.

But after I upgrade the BIOS to the latest version 80.21 Rev A (sp73062.exe ), I can't get booted into the SSD C drive that I want, and all the function keys (F1-12) including the Esc key don't work, so I can't even change the boot sequence.  I tried to change key board to a wired one from a wireless one, but didn't help either.

There may be a bug in this version of BIOS 80.21.  Any soluction?  Hope for a new version soon. Thanks.

5 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Invincible007,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with the BIOS, and wanted to assist you!

It seems that there are no Windows 10 drivers available for your product, on the HP site.  This may be why you are having issues.  Have you tried performing a System Restore, to set the notebook back to its previous working state?  If you are still having trouble, then try recovering the BIOS using the following document: HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
Invincible007 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. Mine is a desktop,not notebook. But I don't want to restore the system which is too big a job. I have found a way to get back to normal, but regret this version of BIOS 80.21 update truly has bugs, and hope you can fix in the next version 80.22.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 346 624
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Invincible007,

Thank you for the quick reply!

My apologies, I usually deal with notebooks, so typed it by habit.  Were you able to resolve the issue?  Did you recover the BIOS back to its previous version?  Looking forward to your reply.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Invincible007 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, the system doesn't allow roll back to the earlier version of BIOS.  So I had to go to the other hard drive with Win 10 to use the advanced startup to manually start up from my desired SSD drive.  That is a weird problem with this version of BIOS.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
45 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Invincible007 wrote:

No, the system doesn't allow roll back to the earlier version of BIOS.  So I had to go to the other hard drive with Win 10 to use the advanced startup to manually start up from my desired SSD drive.  That is a weird problem with this version of BIOS.

Hi Just wondering if this BIOS Version 80.21 did turn out to be buggy and was discarded and replaced with 80.22.

I am currently looking to update from 80.20 (SSID ROM Family 2AF7) to 80.22 and if that works then to 80.23.

I have HP Pavillion 500 406a Desktop with Memphis S Motherboard so it may not be relevant but curious anyhow.

Cheers Noel

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation