Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart HP 520-1101ED
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The moment i switch on my desktop it is showing the HP blue screen, advancing to the black screen showing the Windows 10 logo and spinning circle below it, and then it is switching off.

When i push the power on button again, the boot sequence is continuing to a full start without any problems.

This happens every time i swith on my desktop.

Has anyone experienced this behavior also? What could be the reason for this behavior and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @Tuxx - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that your TouchSmart only goes through the booting process the second time you press the power button. I’d suggest you update the BIOS to try and fix this issue.

You can use the HP Support Assistant to download the necessary drivers and BIOS.

HP Support Assistant is a software program designed to help you keep your computer in working order, prevent potential problems from arising, and resolve problems quickly and easily. The program also provides valuable system information that you need when troubleshooting computer problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2gFA6Q8 to install the HP SA if you do not have it already.

Also, if you have the HP SA installed then go to http://hp.care/2gqoIri and follow the steps under “Checking for HP updates’ to find and install the updates.

Once the updates are done check for the issue resolution. If the issue persists, then perform a hardware test to check any hardware failure with the product. Here are the steps:

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using HP hardware for over 15 years now, and always have used the HP SA to make sure my hardware is up to date.

Also this All in One system is fully up to date, i checked the messages and updates before i posted my question.

The BIOS version on my system is 7.12

I did follow your instructions on running a HW test, it worked a little different as the test started immediately after pushing the F2 button a few times.

These tests have ran and here is the outcome of the tests:

CPU Test - passed

Hard Drive Connection Test - passed

Boot Test - passed

S.M.A.R.T. Test - passed

Memory Test - passed

When finishing these tests the message appeared to press "R" for restarting your system.

When i pushed "R" the system was restarting, but at the Windos logo and spinning circle screen it switched off again as usually, pushing the Power Button it continued starting the system.

When searching the HP site for BIOS update information for my system, it showed that there is no update for the BIOS on my system as long as i run Windows 10, which i do.

All systems purchased before August 2013 have no firmware and driver update support for Windows 10, only for Windows 7 or 8.

This system originally has Windows 8 installed on it, but as Microsoft mentioned this desktop was working well with Windows 10 i have updated it, and it always worked fine except the booting problems.

Is there no possibility for HP to have a BIOS update for my system running Windows 10????

I don't want to downgrade to Windows 7 or 8, only to have the boot problem solved, especially as Windows 10 is running great on this system.

I feel a bit left alone by HP not supporting this for this system which i purchased in August 2012.

And the reason i always have bought and used HP hardware was because the service was always excellent.

What possibilities do you see for this problem to become solved?

Thanks in advance.

Tuxx.

HP Recommended

@Tuxx

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I want to add an extra experience to this topic, as it may shine some light on the fact if this behavior is caused by the BIOS not being updated correclty for Windows 10.

Yesterday evening i received several Windows 10 updates, which have been installed correctly.

Some of the updates required a restart of the system to complete.

I usually don't restart at the end of the day, but just switch off the system, and the next day the first start of the system then will finish the update.

When i started my desktop this morning it did start immediately the first time, finished the update and i was able to work with it.

This is the only exception to this problem, it never starts the first time, only when there is a restart necesarry for a Windows update.

Maybe this will ring a bell for someone.

Also one other question i'm curious about is if i'm the only one reporting this or if there have been more complaints send to HP about this behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Tuxx

HP Recommended

Hello, @Tuxx

Thanks for the update! 

Is the PC still starting normally or was it just the one time that it booted properly? Let me know.

Alternatively, if the PC is still having issues while starting, then let's try to do a BIOS default on your PC. Here are the steps:

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3) Press F10 once for BIOS.

4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults.

5) Press F10 to save and exit.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

The PC only started once correctly after the Microsoft update, and all the times after that, the issue repeated itself.

Also the BIOS default action did not resolve the issue.

I do have a few questions still i want to mention to you, and maybe you are able to answer them, at least i hope.

Am i the only one reporting this issue, has no one else ever reported this before, something i cannot accept.

And why has Microsoft stated this particular HP All in One is ready for receiving Windows 10 on it, and it should be working OK with it, especially when it is known for all these systems sold prior to 2013 that HP has not a valid BIOS on it to support this.

This was for me the reason to upgrade to W10, otherwise i would never have done this.

And that's also the meaning of my statement that i'm dissapointed in HP, wich Hardware i already use for a very long time, as they can easily run a report on how many of these systems have been sold prior to 2013, create a supporting BIOS, and push it via the internal updates channels of HP SA to these users as a mandatory update.

Also the suggestion of one of your colleagues trying to help me on this forum stating i should call online support, is useless as online support will inform me also that my system has no supporting BIOS for W10 and they cannot help me.

I do appreciate your response and the tips send to have this solved, but if it's really due to the non supporting BIOS i cannot be helped other then that HP will create a supporting BIOS.

If you have anything else up your sleeve to try out 🙂 i would like to hear it, if not, i can only thank you for you effort helping me out, i really appreciate this.

Regards,

Tuxx

HP Recommended

Hello, @Tuxx

I am not very sure whether the issue is with the BIOS or not. Also, I personally have not come across this issue on any HP Pc's.

I'd suggest a recovery as a last resort. System recovery is the last step to troubleshoot this issue. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

Go to http://hp.care/2d8t85o and follow the steps under " Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly" to perform the recovery.

Hope that helps. Let me know!

Thank you 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.