Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS UPGRADE & BOOT ISSUE

PAVILION SLIMLINE S5-1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased an MSI GeForce GT710 2Mb graphics card upgrade and on install the workstation hung onthe intial HP splash screen.

After removing the card and reverting to onboard graphics I attempted to upgrade the BIOS. On install via the Windows interface the upgrade failed stating "possible corruption" on the install file.

Tried again 4 times on different machines with the download and each time the install on the HP came up with the same message.

Any one else having BIOS upgrade problems and how do I get this graphics card to work in this machine?

The machine contains all the original components and nothing has been added.

Looking for advice...

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,258
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ADAMW66,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the HP laptop after upgrading the Graphics card. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the PC: 

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC 

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates 

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update 

For more details: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Didn't work.

BIOS is on revision 7.16

Rolled machine back to Windows 7 Factory install, machine is operational but still won't get past POST when the new card is inserted. (Numerous beeps from machine.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,391 2,258
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ADAMW66,

As you have tried reinstalling the Original operating system and the system seems to be working fine, however, when you insert the new card it does not boot and it starts to beep. There could be two possibilities one it could be an issue with the slot or the card itself. I would suggest if you have another graphics card, please go ahead and install it and check if that works. If the issue persists, then it is more likely an issue with the slot If the PC boots up fine with the card then it could be an issue with the card itself. 

If the PC does not boot with the other card, please contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please refer to the previous post to get the tech support number.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation