Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pav desktop 510-p024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am also having this exact same issue after doing "the right thing" by updating to BIOS version .34.

on HP Pav desktop 510-p024.

Since I can no longer access the SSD where the BIOS back up is located I need to force downgrade the BIOS from a USB drive!

I have the v.20 BIOS copied over a USB drive but I need the specfic details / steps on how to boot from the USB drive then reflash the bios.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi

Setting up BIOS to boot from USB storage device Method A: Changing BIOS settings

1.1. Enter the BIOS setup utility by pressing DEL key at boot time, or F1 on some rare cases.

1.2. Change the BIOS boot order so the USB device option is listed first. The BIOS is rarely set up this way by default.

If the USB port is not first in the boot order, your PC will start "normally" (i.e. boot from your hard drive) without even looking at any boot information that might be on your USB device.

Note: After setting your USB device as the first boot device, your computer will check it for boot information each time your PC starts. Leaving your computer configured this way shouldn't cause problems unless you plan on leaving the USB device attached all the time.

1.3. Attach the USB device to your computer via any available USB port.

1.4. Restart your computer.

1.5. Your computer should now boot from the USB flash drive or USB based external hard drive.

Note: What happens now depends on what the bootable USB device was intended for. If you're booting to the Windows 10 To Go, Windows logo will appear. If you're booting converted Windows XP installation CD, then Windows XP Setup will start. You get the idea.

Method B: Boot Menu

Modern computers detect the USB devices at boot time automatically. So you can press a specific key (F8, ESC, F10 or F11) to access the "Boot Menu". Select your USB thumbdrive from the Boot Menu to continue.

In this case your computer will boot from USB thumbdrive only once, and it will boot from the internal hard drive next time, regardless of whether USB thumbdrive is plugged or not.

Comprehensive guide

University of Wisconsin-Madison has prepared a comprehensive guide how to boot to a system BIOS and boot menu on various systems: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=58779

Troubleshooting

If these keys does not work and no hints appear at boot time, then read user manual for your motherboard or notebook. Also check out some of the tips below.

3.1. Recheck the boot order in BIOS (Step 1.1). The number one reason a bootable flash drive or other USB device won't boot is because BIOS is not configured to check the USB port first.

3.2. Didn't find a "USB Device" in boot order listing of your BIOS? If your computer was manufactured around 2001 or before, it may not have this ability. If your computer is newer, check for some other ways that the USB option might be worded. In some BIOS versions, it's called "Removable Devices" or "External Devices".

3.3. Switch to another USB port. BIOS on some motherboards only checks the first few USB ports. Switch to another USB port and restart your computer.

3.4. Be sure to keep an eye for BIOS updates from your motherboard or notebook vendor.

or

Watch the viedo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzd73vS9WXo

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

The bios files from HP only contain the data portaion of the BIOS itself and not the actual prgram that updates the BIOS.

I need some sort of flashing prgram that is compatibable with this bios in order to do this.

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for posting and welcome to HP forum,

I hope your facing this issue after updating BIOS. So can you try performing BIOS recovery, please find the below link for methods,

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

I hope above information helps you to resolve.

Best Regards,
Dark_Panther.
I am an HP Employee.
Note: Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.:smileyhappy:
HP Recommended

this is for a DESKTOP. 

HP Pav desktop 510-p024 updated to BIOS v.34

the bioes update option is not an available option

I need to boot and do this from a USB drive.

I have the BIOS files, bu the HP BIOS tool creates a drive that is not bootable and is NOT recognized when used by booting with the windows key+B

HP Recommended

or tell me the location on the orignal hp recovery partition where the BIN file and key file need to be located.

so when I force a BIOS recovery it uses v.20 instead of v.34.

I have v.20 downloaded, just need to know where the BIOS recovery tool is looking for it

HP Recommended

The drive that contains the EFI  and revocery partition is inaccessible, I need to do this strictly from a USB drive only

HP Recommended

how do get support / resolution directly from an HP employee on an issue for a machine that is out of warranty BUT was rendered useless after a BIOS update?

I have a Pav 510-p024 that I updated to BIOS v.34 which has disabled the ability to use SSD drives. This evidently is happening to other users as well. you have responded on one my threads yourself.

I managed to get all way to the point where I had an older BIOS on the original drive that came with the machine but the .sig file seems to now be the issue. It looks like v.34 will not let you go backwards at all under any circumstances??

I need to be able to downgrade my BIOS from .34 to some other verison that will allow an SSD to be connected. Please help me get resolved.

Please look at my posts and questions.

I need a workaround to allow an older BIOS to be used or HP needs to post a new BIOS that lets us use SSD drives again.

most of all, I need to know that HP is at least aware of the issue, has acknowledged it, and is working on a solution.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you have another PC you can use?

If so, download & install the HP UEFI Diags 6.6.2.0 to another USB stick. Then copy the F.20 backup BIOS to this stick also.

Boot off the Diags stick (by pressing F2 repeatedly when you 1st turn it on)

Go to 'Firmware Management' from the menu, then 'Update Firmware' then 'Browse for Firmware' Then click 'Downgrade Firmware' You can also downgrade from clicking the upgrade button. In my experirnce they dont seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps!

Michael.

HP Recommended

using  UEFI Diags 6.6.2.0  will NOT let me downgrade the BIOS!

I get the signature file failed error message

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.