Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS has a Password Can Log into Windows but get backwards Circle only

HP 24g 020 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Computer has a Password on the Bios.

I did NOT put it there.

I am the sole owner with sole access.

Computer will start and I can log into Windows however I cannot do a single thing once logged in- not even gain access to the task manager.

I CAN boot into safe mode with a command prompt and I DID a Recovery on the Bios already but that was fruitless.

I cannot utilize ANY System or Windows Recovery Options.

Office Depot Manager and I removed the CMOS battery for 15 minutes 

I get a blue screen that says enter setup password and the date in bottom right corner on this screen is 01/01/2011

I purchased the computer 9/16/2016 began using it in June 2017. 

The date on the computer is still the date the bios went bad ? 2/21/2018 11:27pm

Windows is NOT RESPONDING comes up -do you want ot end this process 

I have zero Technology Training however I can read and follow instructions 

Please assist me 

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the BIOS is not doing that. sorry' ( I think windows is corrupted  or the HDD has failed)

the OS is corrputed,  BIOS passes control to the OS (called booting) and only the OS is your problems.

a new RTC battery is best, if over 5-7years old,  not pulling it and putting it back.

your PC booted to windows, its not BIOS job to run windows, at all.

if the BIOS works and the time and date is ok there, that can mean the RTC battery is ok..

but i guess your PC is new, and needs no BIOS flash or battery ever, it's new.

BIOS does not just go bad, from good, in fact the CMOS cells for that last 100 years, I have proof, so leave bios alone

means dont flash  your PC every time it hickups, ok,  dont risk bricking any PC at every turn of the road.

The NVRAM lasts forever, but the battery that makes NVRAM can die in 7years, and is not your issue here.

see?

first and formost do you have data to save,  that be #1 ;top question,  and not hinted here.

so back up now, ask how, on any dead system (hint1: use linux DVD boot  or USB Linux boot, ubuntu 16, "tryme" mode.

and backup.

now power on your PC, and hammer the F11 key, and recover the OS. to day one state.

do not us  the interent to read posts everywhere with answsers wrong.   (over half of all answsers are wrong)

what matters only are doing the tests  and finding the cause, guessing , can be very damagerous to data.

so please do the tests.

Here is what  shops should do, sure measure the coin cell, 2.9v min, 3.3 new.  seen one fail in 6 months but was off shore no name coin cell. ( not HP , not Duracell or Everedy)

1. then I back you up , all data to external media of any kind,  usb,extrenal hdd, or external dvd burner, etc.
  2. turn on the PC and go to BIOS ESC key, as prompted, and run mem test the hdd test. (its crude but easy good test)
  3. next boot my Linux Stick, USB,  and run full smart HDD test,  and for sure make sure parameter C6 is 0 .
  4. Then I do the full F11 restore. HP recovery ) (if login screens not reached, at OS, do startup repair first)
  5. never do i flash BIOS for fun ,kicks or like checking tire pressure on my car,  never. only if we must, or the bios details page shows it fixes  YOUR problem and only IF HP agrees. , OK>? 'IM not HP,
  6. good luck to you, and do post all symptoms and if BIOS acts odd. 
I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would be extraordinarily helpful if you would READ THE FULL QUESTION and ADDRESS my issue -NOT post extraneous

information not remotely related to my issue.   I HAVE A PASSWORD ON MY BIOS and cannot wipe my hard drive nor use ANY of the typical repair options .

I store my data on a eremovable drive or in another location due to my profession and serious privacy concerns with storing confidental information in anyone's cloud. My safe can't be hacked. I DO NOT CARE about the data on this hard drive which I have used for 6 months. Harbor Secure Cloud inspected my computer recently and said it was the cleanest computer he had ever seen. I DO NOT USE APPS nor have I installed a single program other than Calyx and Docusign

and I can reinstall that at ANY TIME.

I will post some pictures of a few things I believe are relative. 

I saw another post about a green password jumper as well which may be extremely relevant to my situation however HP has not my manual accessible to me to follow the diagrams nor can I find ANY posted information regarding this process on this model 

Any help from someone dealing solely with the PASSWORD ON MY BIOS and perhaps the instability of my system being caused by the Intel AMD bios updates that were pushed out initially and then halted if that is applicable would be helpful .

A $699 paperweight I do not need - I need this computer to work again if possible - the purchase date was 9/16/2016 and it was rarely used prior to 6/2017  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Bios Passworda.jpg

HP Bios6a.jpg

HPBios5f.jpg

HPBios7aa.jpg

HP Bios2c (2).jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My Computer has a Password on the Bios. I did NOT put it there. I am the sole owner with sole access.

Weird.

> Computer will start and I can log into Windows however I cannot do a single thing once logged in-

> not even gain access to the task manager.

Does Windows automatically load, or were you required to enter a Windows password/PIN to complete the login?

What do you mean by "cannot do a single thing" ?

Are the keyboard & the mouse completely "dead" -- no light-up LEDs, or no response to pressing the "Windows" keyboard key, or when moving the mouse?

> Office Depot Manager and I removed the CMOS battery for 15 minutes.

That was enough for the motherboard to "lose" the current date/time, and load "default" values (from 2011).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please read: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/forget-power-on-Password/td-p/5998784# which describes how to reset the power-on password, and maybe the BIOS-SETUP password.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does Windows automatically load, or were you required to enter a Windows password/PIN to complete the login?

What do you mean by "cannot do a single thing" ?

RESPONSE: Keyboard Works as does mouse- hence I can enter my password and hit control alt delete etc...

I get the Windows Log On Screen - I use a local account not a Microsoft Account (if that is relevant) 

I then enter my password and get a backwards circle- when I hit control, alt, delete - task manager will not come up

only a little box that says Windows is not responding....Do you want to quit theis PROCESS . My desktop icons for my

software don't appear and I cannot click the windows logo in left corner 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I posted a picture of the Enter Password Screen I get. 

I am assuming that is NOT the POWER ON PASSWORD as my computer has no issues powering on and only asks for my Windows Password under my user name - not when I boot the computer so the password shown on the screen shot I posted is in fact a BIOS Password Correct since I cannot reach the bios to change the boot options etc.....

I posted another screen shot where I CAN ACCESS THE HP BIOS Recovery part however it reinstalls the last known working bios which is in fact the BIOS with the Password not the initially installed or updated clean BIOS from HP so I am wondering if I can perhaps download a new copy of the BIOS without a Password and re-install it from that HP BIOS Recovery Screen ?HP Bios6a.jpgBIOS ScreenBIOS Screen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I then enter my password and get a backwards circle- when I hit control, alt, delete - task manager will not come up.

Before that, as Windows initially starts to load, repeatedly tap the 'F8' key, until you get the "System Recovery" menu.  Try to use "System Restore" to time-warp your computer back to a date/time before the symtoms first manifested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did all of the normal things and keep getting messages that none of these actions can be completed-

YOU DO UNDERSTAND - THE BIOS HAS A PASSWORD ON IT therefore -

NOTHING IN THE BIOS CAN BE CHANGED UNTIL I CAN ENTER THAT PASSWORD- NOT THE BOOT ORDER, not reinstall Windows,  nothing 

and ALL Conventional Windows 10 Recovery/ Restore options have failed hence my coming to a forum specifically addressing the BIOS PASSWORD ISSUE First and foremost - then requesting help to remove that password and respore this computer to FUNCTIONING in ANY capacity . I appreciate ANY ASSISTANCE. 

I am well educated and I can follow instructions and I read EVERYTHING and went back to the local retailer.

I live in a predominantly rural area wher IT assistance is non-existent hence trying this forum.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation