Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried updating BIOS prior to updating operating system from Win 8.1 to Win 10 as recommended. My original BIOS version was 02.04 from 2015. I downloaded the BIOS from HERE . I used version 02.30 Rev.A which was the latest version supporting my PC and the operating system.

I downloaded the EXE file, double clicked it and it executed. 

However, after restart the computer was unable to detect my SSD with the OS. When I checked the BIOS version, it did not change and still shows the original 02.04 version. BIOS also shows no SSD installed.

I have tried the following:

1. Re-seat the SSD - that didn't help
  2. Start the PC with Win+B to try BIOS recovery - nothing happened, no recovery options, only black screen
  3. remove the BIOS battery and drain the system to reset the bios to default - BIOS reset but it did not help
  4. changed the boot option in BIOS to Legacy - didn't help
  5. Boot with F2 to try and test the SSD - no SSD found
  6. Boot with F2 to try and recover bios using UEFI tool, there is no option to update bios.

Now I've gone through a lot of forum posts and HP guides.

I followed  THIS Guide (on a separate non-HP PC) on how to create a BIOS recovery Flash Drive, however steps 10 and 11 do not show when I execute the BIOS downloaded from HERE . Instead the BIOS just tries to install and the PC (not HP) freezes...

I have created a USB flash drive with HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI downloaded from HERE . However, I don't know how to flash the BIOS from  HERE as the BIOS file is an executable to update BIOS from a Windows environment, rather than being an image which can be flashed by the UEFI utility. I can see BIOS folders on the HP_TOOLS flash drive. There is "Current", "New" and "Previous" but they are empty. I'd assume I'd need a BIOS image file to place to one of these folders in order to update my bios using this flash drive, but really, I don't know

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you very much!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Felippe86, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

Please click on the hyperlink below to install 

HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.