Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-a150
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A Microsoft tech thought, maybe, it was a good idea for him/her to update my BIOS during a remote session.  The BIOS update failed in the middle, and now my AiO won't boot or run an, such  of the BIOS.  It gets as far as posting the HP Logo, and then posting the various options such as Diagnostics, or "boot menu" but lacks any method of accessing those options. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You could try this:

Turn the machine off, plug in a cabled USB keyboard (avoid wireless if possible)

Hold down the Win key + B and turn the machine on. Keep the keys pressed for at least one minute. Hopefully you'll either hear beeps or get a message saying BIOS is in recovery mode and the BIOS will roll back to previous version. This isn't always successful on all models, but I think the 34 curved models support BIOS recovery.

If the PC doesn't do anything, then try the same steps,  but hold down Win Key and keep tapping B key.

HP Recommended

Hmmmm ... I thought I provided that info. 

The subject PC is an HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-a150, which was purchased with 32 GB RAM and 2TB SSD. 

HP Recommended

This machine was shipped with a wireless keyboard and mouse.  I believe it has an internal USB port occupied by a dongle to support those.  While it has a large display, its motherboard is a notebook type.  I've gone through the steps you recommend, albeit with the keyboard that came with the machine.  Those steps produced indications of life, but nothing significant.  It shows the HP Logo in all the steps, along with some system information, e.g. processor type, amount of RAM in each channel, and BIOS revision date (12/11/2019, which was when the blessed event occurred, but later, depending on which function key is pressed, produces a string like "press the lESC key for Startup menu", and then "startup Menu" on the next line, but there is no way to invoke the startup menu.

HP Recommended

You could also try downloading the A0.16 bios here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-curved-34-a100-all-in-one-desktop...

And from another machine, run the sp101219.exe file, when presented with the below screen, choose the 2nd option.

The utility will create a recovery USB stick. Once created, insert that stick into the HP 34, run the Win+B key steps again. If there's NO backup BIOS on the UEFI partition on the HDD, then it'll look for a BIOS on a valid USB stick. You might have some luck, but I've found it can be hit-and-miss. Like I said earlier, try to find a wired USB keyboard to use.

Hibb1_0-1612666125827.png

Yes - Your wifi dongle is INTERNAL - if you want to get to it, lay the unit on it's back, use your fingers to pry off the black plastic bezel around the screen, remove the screws under the bezel securing the panel to the case, lift out the panel and then you'll be presented with the massive mainboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.