9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BSOD after last major Win 10 update

HPE257C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

BSOD  (machine check exceptio ) after last windows major update-

I checked memory,  CPU, grafics card, ALl ok. I also installed an SSD for windows program and got a new HDMI monitor.

I tried all of the troubleshooting options and have done several clean installs of Windows 10 pro. It works for a while until Windows update requires a restart -  At that point it freezes and BSOD occurs. It sometimes goes into safe mode (only without Networking) and  says it could not complete update so removing them - sometimes freezes, sometime allows me into safe mode   but usually not.

I thought it may be a driver issue but now think it is a BIOS issue and there are no updates for Windows 10. Can I install the BIOS updates for Win 7 and/or 8?

I was thinking of setting it back to windows 7 if that is possible and updating BIOS but  I really want to stay with windows.

It has been a really good computer so I hate having to repalce it.

I have a lot of patience, but this has been torture!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> BSOD  (machine check exceptioN ) after last Windows major update

As they say, "correlation does not imply causality" -- even if there had not been any update, a reboot may have triggered the BSOD.

The "machine check" jargon indicates a problem with the machine's major components -- the motherboard or the processor.

From a command-line prompt, enter EVENTVWR, to run the Windows "Event Viewer".

Windows may have recorded some details about the "machine check".

> I checked memory,  CPU, graphics card, All ok.

Good.  Did you reboot, and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, to test the motherboard?

> I also installed an SSD for Windows program and got a new HDMI monitor.

> .. have done several clean installs of Windows 10 pro.

So, you still have the same power-supply, and motherboard, processor, and you still have the same symptoms.

Not that it will help diagnose the problem, but when Windows tells you to restart, what happens if instead you do a "shutdown", to turn the computer off.  Then, disconnect the AC power, and hold-down the ON/OFF switch for 10 seconds, to "drain" any residual electrical power. Reconnect the AC power, and reboot. Does it still do the BSOD?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ... now think it is a BIOS issue

I respectfully disagree.  It is NOT likely that a Windows Update changed the BIOS.

> there are no updates for Windows 10.

Occasionally it is the case where a BIOS update is recommended before installing the newest release of Windows.

But, probably not in your situation.

> Can I install the BIOS updates for Win 7 and/or 8?

Yes, you may. BIOS updates are BIOS updates.

They are "independent" of what operating system (Windows? Linux?) that you boot.

For example, the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities can be exploited from any operating system.

One needs a BIOS-update to remediate.

Another example, changing your automobile tires when your engine is not receiving gasoline will not help.

I doubt that a BIOS update will fix the "machine check" notification.

Another example: if Intel markets a new processor, and its "pins" are compatible with the "socket" on your motherboard, you may need a BIOS-update to be applied, before replacing the processor.

That BIOS-update may have been issued before 2015, namely before Windows 10 had been released.

So, the BIOS-update was "tagged" as being for users of Microsoft's "currently-supported" operating systems, e.g., Vista & 7 & 8.  If you did not apply the BIOS-update, and were running Windows 10, and then wanted to use the new processor, you would still need to apply that BIOS-update, before installing the new processor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much Dean, for your prompt and thorough reply. I decided to reinstall Windows 7 Pro and after all of the almost 200 updates and many restarts, the system is working perfectly - no BSODs!

So it looks to me that the problem is not the hardware.

To answer your questions, I did run HP Hardware Diagnostics and also tried the shutdown 

and  disconnected the AC power,  hold-down the ON/OFF switch for 10 seconds, to "drain" any residual electrical power. Reconnected the AC power, and rebooted. After all that still BSOD.

So it seems to me the problem was caused by the last big WIN 10 update.

I will see about updating the Bios and then maybe going back to WIN 10 although I am not looking forward to it.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A follow up note.

you state:

“ For example, the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities can be exploited from any operating system.

One needs a BIOS-update to remediate.”

Yet there is no Hp Bios update for these for my Bios

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update -It's been working perfectly in WIN 7 Pro so the problem is a Win 10 /driver issue ( I have had Win 10 for about a year without any problems before this last major update 1803).

I updated Bios  for Win7 and the drivers so we'll see if there are any problems but so far it's perfect.

After a while I will try to go back to Win 10, maybe a future update will cure the problem.

Am I the only one with this BSOD Win 10 issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mike231 wrote:

A follow up note.

you state:

“ For example, the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities can be exploited from any operating system.

One needs a BIOS-update to remediate.”

Yet there is no update for these for my BIOS.

Your computer: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-257c Desktop PC Product Specifications

is quite old:

Product number: BK424AA
Release date: 19-Mar-2010
Country/region sold in:
• United States
• Canada

There only is the MS-7613 Motherboard BIOS Update

Type: BIOS
Version: 5.15
Release date: Aug 6, 2010
File name:  sp46439.exe (1.8 MB)

HP states that any HP computer manufactured before August 2013 has not been tested for compatibility with Windows 10. That would include your computer.

Note that HP is issuing BIOS updates, but they are starting with their 2018 products, then their 2017 products, then their 2016 products, and so on. 

Will they go "backward" all the way to your "antique" system?  I do not know, and I do not speak for HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see. So if Microsoft decides to update their OS, we should just throw out our computers and buy a new one. I guess that’s called progress,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mike231 wrote:

I see. So if Microsoft decides to update their OS, we should just throw out our computers and buy a new one.

I guess that’s called progress,

No, it means that you should install some variant of Linux, instead of Microsoft's operating system.  That is progress. :Sunglasses:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good idea. I have a linux version installed on my virtual machine, I may follow your suggestion.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation