Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p6604f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently, the boot order changed all by itself. I just have one internal hard disk and one 32gb flash drive connected. The boot order in the hdd group swapped those two devices. This has never happened before. Is this just a one time thing, or is it a sign of things to come? There is no bios update offered on the website. Why not? Do you have any thoughts as to what could have caused this? Thanks for your assistance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @krrrrazyk, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand boot order on your PC gets changed by itself.

Don't worry I'd love to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

It certainly looks to be an issue with CMOS battery, please change the CMOS battery on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, try restoring the bios to default and check if it helps.

To reset the boot order to the default settings, follow the steps below.
Turn on or restart the computer.
While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
Press the f9 key to reset the BIOS to the default settings.
Press the f10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings menu.

Refer this article to know more information about Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The only hardware change was a memory card being plugged in and unplugged all while the computer was booted into windows. Are you suggested the cmos battery could be the cause even though the date and time were not affected?
HP Recommended

@krrrrazyk, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

As you mentioned the date and time is valid in BIOS.

Did you try restoring the BIOS to default?

After restoring the BIOS did the boot options change again?

Even after BIOS default if the issue persists it could be a problem with CMOS chip try changing the CMOS battery and check if it helps.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not done anything. I will wait to see if it happens again. Thanks your your advice,

Spoiler
:generic:
HP Recommended

@krrrrazyk, It was a quick response from you.

Sure take your time if the issue persists try restoring the BIOS to default.

If the issue still persists after restoring the BIOS to default.

Try updating the BIOS on your PC using the HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Happy weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.