Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (85 Views)

Bios prevent Win 10 install

Product Name: HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF

I have decided to give my old HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF originaly running Win 7 a new chance with Win 10 so I tried to install it on a clean formated HDD, newly formated in during installation.

The installation toll is created with microsofts own tool, tried it both on USB and DVD.

Partitions on the HDD is made new (including som system partions made automatically).

The installation goes fine, files are copied, installation made, adjustments made - until it is about to finalize the installation, reapetedly giving this error message:

"Unable to update the start up configuration of the computer. Installation can not continue"

According to Microsoft support, this is due to BIOS setting or something like that. I can't tell if they just tried to make it someone elses problem?

I did not find updated software or any solution among the drivers on HP. Is there something I have missed?

How do I get the Win 10 installation made?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (80 Views)

Re: Bios prevent Win 10 install

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I don't know what the problem could be with why you are having difficulty installing W10 on your 8200 Elite SFF.

All I can tell you is that I installed W10 Pro x64 on both of my 8200 Elite CMT's with BIOS v.2.28 (do not update to v2.29! Windows 10 and v2.29 cause a 2-3 minute delay on restarting the PC), and they both work just fine.

I have UEFI turned off in both BIOS' of these PCs because when I tried to reinstall W7, I kept getting the Windows cannot be installed to this disk because it is GPT error).

I got around that by installing W7 in legacy mode, and I kept the BIOS setting the same way for W10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation