Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G1 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 280 G1 MT

Product K8K38EA

A pop-up message from the HP Support Assistant notified a recommended BIOS update - so I used the HP Support Assistant utility to download and update the BIOS. I am running Windows 10.

The BIOS uploaded and verified itself and the machine re booted.

I now get "eight beeps" with eight flashes of the power LED and, quite a few minutes later, eight more beeps.

I cannot seem to use the win+b key combo to try and reset the BIOS back to what it was.

I cannot believe that HPs solution on the phone was to send the machine in at my expense and to have it fixed for nearly £350! I can buy a new, more modern machine for that. Is there a fix that does not cost more than the price of a new PC to send it back to Bracknell. 

I am pretty annoyed. I only updated the BIOS because HP's software said I should and used HP's procedure as detailed on HP's website with HP's provided  BIOS.

Now my machine is useless. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@wallace331 

HP is demanding that much money because they do not do motherboard repairs as such.  The BIOS is apparently corrupted and to fix that, you have to replace the BIOS chip -- but HP does not do that because the chip is soldered to the motherboard.  Instead, they replace the entire motherboard and since that also includes the processor, system memory chips and the graphics chip, that is very expensive.

That's why they want so much to "fix" this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

HP Caused this problem by recommending the UPDATE!!!  My machine is Bricked too WHY should we pay for their error????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.