Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen with HP Envy

I'm having the problem.It occurs randomly but quite frequently.

1) When the laptop is left idle at some point the screen will go off as it should as per the Windows power saving features. But there is no way to get it to come back on other than a hard reset i.e. 4 second power button press. Not a great idea since that may corrupt files and just compound the issue with more problems.

When the screen is black I can hear the OS make error sounds sounds if I start mashing buttons so the OS is functioning.  The keyboard lights are on too. edit: I can hear the hard drive clicking too it's a magnetic HDD not an SSD.

2) A related problem: sometimes the screen is on but hitting any key on the keyboard will not make the log in appear. I can swipe the touchscreen to make it appear but no keys will work nothing is detected.

I've seen numerous posts on message boards about this nobody seems to have found a solution to it. And I see your post Aleclikespi is 25 days old and no answer and not even a reply from HP yet. Can someone from HP answer please?

My laptop is new built Jan 2018, specs:

HP Envy x360

AMD Ryzen 2500

Windows Home 64-bit (up tp date as of Feb 4 2018)

HP Support all software up to date (as of Feb 4 2018)

-David H

edit: fixed typos and added info

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem #1: open "Device Manager", and change the "Properties" for the keyboard to allow this device to wake-up the computer.

Or, try a quick "tap" of the ON/OFF button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In device Manager then keyboard properties there is no option listed to wake up the device using the keyboard.

When the problem occured (before I reinstalled the OS) I tried the power button assuming the PC went to sleep or hibernated but nothing occured after pressing it, i.e. " a quick tap ". The only thing that did work was a long four second press.

I've since installed an M.2 NVME SSD and reinstalled the OS and this time pressing the power button did make the screen come back on. This is a fresh day-old install using the recovery USB image and the screen still goes black at random times. But at least this time pressing the power button worked.

There is no way to know if using the button will always work since I don't know what's causing the screen to go black. Event Viewer isn't really showing much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> In Device Manager, then keyboard properties, there is no option listed to wake up the device using the keyboard.

First, a PS/2 keyboard:

Capture.JPG

and then a DELL keyboard with a USB connector:

Capture.JPG

Oh, then I must be seeing things!  :smileyembarrassed:

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation