Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE H8-1010
Unknown

I disabled UEFI in BIOS. Now, machine won't start. Can't even get back to BIOS. None of the recovery steps I've found fix the problem. I really just need to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. <Windows>+<B> doesn't do it. Resetting the CMOS jumpers doesn't do it.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

What did you do in the BIOS to cause you to think you disabled UEFI?

Your PC sports a 7.16 Rev. A BIOS.

This BIOS version does not support a UEFI BIOS. UEFI BIOS versions start at 8.xx.

You have a different problem, possibly hardware failure, if the PC will not POST (Power On Self Test).

I don't think this Legacy PC supports a BIOS recovery.

Regards

HP Recommended

I installed a BIOS update required to run Windows 10. There were 2 references in the BIOS for UEFI. I disabled both because I wanted a simple Legacy Boot. When the restart occurred, the machine bricked

HP Recommended

Hi,

What BIOS update did you install?

This is all I could find for your PC (Link). This BIOS version is a Legacy BIOS from 2012.

Are you providing the correct HP product number?

Regards

HP Recommended

That would be the one. I was running the machine just fine but struggled to default to a boot from CDROM. All I remember (& at 74, that alone can be a problem) is the last thing I did was "disable" two settings about "UEFI programs". As soon as it tried to do the re-boot, it black screen. 1st time I've ever done that. Always been able to go back to BIOS setup before when machine wouldn't boot.

HP Recommended

I've had this computer since 2011. Actually been a more than satisfactory for supporting my home network. Currently has 8GB memory & 1T HDD. It's been so long that I don't remember if the 1T HDD came pre-installed from Best Buy or the original crashed & I upgraded it.

20190708_052834[1].jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Ron,

I would reset CMOS to see if this helps.

Again, your PC does not support a UEFI BIOS.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.