Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

Pavilion HPE H8-1010
Unknown

I disabled UEFI in BIOS. Now, machine won't start. Can't even get back to BIOS. None of the recovery steps I've found fix the problem. I really just need to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. <Windows>+<B> doesn't do it. Resetting the CMOS jumpers doesn't do it.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

What did you do in the BIOS to cause you to think you disabled UEFI?

Your PC sports a 7.16 Rev. A BIOS.

This BIOS version does not support a UEFI BIOS. UEFI BIOS versions start at 8.xx.

You have a different problem, possibly hardware failure, if the PC will not POST (Power On Self Test).

I don't think this Legacy PC supports a BIOS recovery.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

I installed a BIOS update required to run Windows 10. There were 2 references in the BIOS for UEFI. I disabled both because I wanted a simple Legacy Boot. When the restart occurred, the machine bricked

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

Hi,

What BIOS update did you install?

This is all I could find for your PC (Link). This BIOS version is a Legacy BIOS from 2012.

Are you providing the correct HP product number?

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

That would be the one. I was running the machine just fine but struggled to default to a boot from CDROM. All I remember (& at 74, that alone can be a problem) is the last thing I did was "disable" two settings about "UEFI programs". As soon as it tried to do the re-boot, it black screen. 1st time I've ever done that. Always been able to go back to BIOS setup before when machine wouldn't boot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

I've had this computer since 2011. Actually been a more than satisfactory for supporting my home network. Currently has 8GB memory & 1T HDD. It's been so long that I don't remember if the 1T HDD came pre-installed from Best Buy or the original crashed & I upgraded it.

20190708_052834[1].jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black Screen

Hi Ron,

I would reset CMOS to see if this helps.

Again, your PC does not support a UEFI BIOS.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation