Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-b090ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

My sons all in one desktop started giving a black screen following a Windows 10 update (I think). I managed intermittently to get the screen working by restting the bios but it was really hit and miss. Whilst I managed to get the screen working, I  updated the bios to that latest version from the hp website and that was successful but since the screen has been completely black, and no amount of resetting the bios now works.

I know that windows 10 is booting up fine even though I can't see it, because I managed to turn on narrator. I also know the screen works fine because Ubuntu starts up okay. I put the original operating system back (Windows 😎 and installed the graphics drivers from the hp website but the screen is still black. I would like to put the original BIOS back which I know to be version 8.08 as the recommended bios doesn't appear to allow the screen to function, but I cannot find an installation file. Does anyone know how I can get hold of the version 8.08 installation file ?

Many thanks

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MHewgill

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

It's a pleasure assisting you in finding answers to your technical queries.

Appreciate all your time and efforts.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833 and follow the steps that could help you in fixing the issue.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

@Raj1788

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to help. Unfortunately the link you provide talks about updating the bios with the latest version, which is what I have done, but I actually want to go back to the bios version that originally came with the computer and I can't find an original bios file and also the new bios version says it can't be rolled back in the notes anyway.

I think the computer started having problems with a Windows 10 update. Although Windows 10 was working fine, there is officially no Bios support for Windows 10 for my model (23-b090ea). I thought the best think to do would be to reinstall Windows 8.1 and put the original bios back and start from there. That's pretty tricky to do when you don't have a screen, but I did manage to get onto Windows using Narrator and then I managed to  view the computer desktop by using Team Viewer. When I do this I can see that the graphics adapter in device manager has a problem (code 43). I have tried no end of different nvidia graphics drivers but just can't get the graphics to work. I would like to return the computer to it's original BIOS to rule the BIOS out of the equation.

Regards

Mark

HP Recommended

@MHewgill

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

If you are able to navigate through Windows, I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant and that will look for all the latest drivers and Firmware for your computer

Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Keep us posted

Thank you and have a great day😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

You will have to ignore HP bots and the noise they make.

Details you're after would be here:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-23-b000-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/52...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Pavilion-23-b000-All-in-One-Desktop-PC...

Alas! NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

So I'm afraid you will not be able to explore this avenue any further.

That, however, is significant:

I can see that the graphics adapter in device manager has a problem (code 43).

It may mean that the GPU has actually failed hardware-wise and what you witness seem confirming it I'm afraid.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3075/~/windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-i...

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. Could the graphics cards have failed if Ubuntu runs fine ?

Regards Mark

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.