• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen after login on HP Envy Recline 27 running Windows 10

I have the problem. I have tried many things. BIOS update, graphics driver update, restore point, nothing works. I can wait and wait, and the screen remains blank. Appears related to an Intel graphics driver for which the Windows notification pane reported an update issue. When I clicked the "try to resolve" link, that's when everthing went bad. Should never have clicked the link. 

You can get to you files though (if you're in the state that I'm in). From the black screen press ctrl alt delete. You should get a menu with Task Manager as one of the options. From there you you should be able to (show details) and then choose "New Task" from the File menu of the Task Manager. Browse to your web browser (I used Chrome) and launch it. From there you should be able to open your list of downloads then click the "view in folder" link to open Explorer. You should also be able to open a command line console from Task Manager in a similar way. Explorer is easier to navigate, but slightly clunkier to reach. In either case, you should be able to view the file system (and if necessary run a backup to a USB drive).

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You don't mention an F11 re-install, is that a consideration?

Or running a repair scenario...

You may need to change the Secure/Legacy  boot option, and the boot sequence also.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wound up reinstalling Windows with a USB drive. It's less drastic that it sounds. It's pretty much just like installing any other program.

Make sure you have everything backed up (apps, install media, music, and documents) and that you have access any product keys you need for your apps. Boot from your hard drive not the USB drive.

Follow the directions carefully. High capacity USB drives are cheap now, and the install process takes around an hour or so for everything to run and update, but this process left all my apps and documents (but not my Start menu settings) in place, and it solved the black screen while getting Windows into a clean and updated state. This actually seems to be a more thorough and less tedious solution than tweaking drivers, settings, and registry keys. 

Once you've hit the black screen insert the USB and

* ctrl-alt-del from the black screen to launch the task manager

* right click any process in the TM and chose go to file location

* use the *left* nav tree in Explorer to open the USB drive

* run setup from there

I suppose you could also try to run setup from "start task" on the TM FIle menu, but using Explorer seems a little easier.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Prego.

And if you have Windows.old your user/desktop is in there.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation