Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
04-12-2020 10:20 PM
My computer took a tumble and now seems to only get to the login screen, where it asks for my login/pin number. After I enter this, it just sits on a black screen and I can only see the cursor moving around. Please help!
04-16-2020 01:39 PM
Welcome to HP support community.
A recent update in the background if interrupted could have caused the issue, and I suggest we perform the below steps to resolve it:
- Let's perform a power reset as per HP standards:
- Ensure your laptop is OFF.
- Unplug all the external devices (If any).
- Disconnect the power charger from the computer, and remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
- Connect the power supply (power adapter).
- Press the power button to turn on your laptop.
- Then put your battery back.
for more details: Click here
If the device still doesn't boot, try booting into safe mode using these steps: click here,
If it boots into windows now, try the below steps:
- On your keyboard, press the Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys at the same time to invoke Task Manager.
- Click the Details tab (or the Processes tab if you’re using Windows 7).
- Scroll down and find the explorer.exe process.
- If yes, end the process by selecting explorer.exe and clicking End task.
- Restart your HP laptop and see if it fixes the black screen issues.
If you can’t find explorer.exe in the list, you can run the process on your own:
- Still in Task Manager, click File and select Run new task.
- Type explorer.exe and press Enter on your keyboard.
- The process will run and you can check if your desktop becomes normal.
I hope that helps.
To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.
I am an HP Employee
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community