GaetanoFui
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Black screen during power on

HP Recommended
Compaq Mini 110c-1111sl - sn [edited]
Microsoft Windows XP

After power on screen stays black, no underscore visible. Power button light on, wireless led on, after a while fan turns on. Both power led on if power cord is connected. BlocNum and Capital led out.

I've done what suggested on hp support page untill "bios recovery flash drive" step; no joy. I am not able to install bios on a flash drive using installshield.
After download bios file sp47135, double click creates a .temp folder with AFU 308F0F19 plus more files in.
It ask for permission to run and starts Installshield program. Here begin what differs from hp support page: it does not ask for agreement option and goes to the error output "BIOS does not support AFU".
By the way, what above does not mean it would solve the issue on my laptop, I don't know what went wtong. It is just a report and I'm looking for solution.
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Personally, I never recommend a BIOS update as the FIRST option to try to resolve a problem.

[If your automobile stops working, one does not first try to replace the engine -- look instead at the gauges (gas? water? battery?) to try to diagnose the source of the problem.]

Power-off your laptop.

Power-on your laptop, and immediately start to repeatedly tap the ESC key, until you see a "menu".

From that menu, choose to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics.

Run the tests against the RAM and the disk-drive.

Tell us the results.

0 Kudos
GaetanoFui
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for your reply.

You can read below what I did prior to consider a flashBios solution:
Following hp directions,
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/compaq-mini-110c-1100-pc-series/4004494/model/4033807/document/...

1.Perform a hard reset
2.Symptom: LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank
https://support.hp.com/wps/portal/pps/Home/ConcentraWrapper/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJ...
3.Connect an external monitor
4.Physically check the hardware component connections

That's why I'm looking for how to flashBios if I get AFU issues.
Thanks
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GaetanoFui wrote:
You can read below what I did prior to consider a flashBios solution:
1.Perform a hard reset
2.Symptom: LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank
3.Connect an external monitor
4.Physically check the hardware component connections

That's why I'm looking for how to flashBios if I get AFU issues.

Please run the HP Hardware Diagnostics -- a "non-destructive" test -- before trying to update the BIOS.

Obviously, the processor & the RAM & the motherboard must be verified to be in good condition, before the Diagnostics will run, to test the disk-drive.

If you physically remove the disk-drive, and connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer, can you access any of the files/folders on the disk-drive?

I find it improbable that a "working" BIOS can suddenly be "non-working".  Possible, maybe, but very unlikely.

Look to a failed disk-drive, or a failed motherboard as the most-likely causes of the symptoms.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation