Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen on login

HP Pavillion 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a brand new HP Pavillion 14, purchased today.

During setting up the computer, I have downloaded Avast Free Anti-virus, Google Chrome and Microsoft Office. Ive had to reboot the computer a couple of times to complete these and after the second reboot, I am getting a black screen with cursor after logging in.  The windows desktop kicks in after about 10 minutes, and then seems to work fine.

I can access Task Manager, and have been able to use the file: run new task option to access Chrome.

Is there are solution to this problem or do I need to return the computer? As you can imagine it is not great as I only purchased the computer today.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
26,355 26,310 2,189 3,358
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen on login

@IKTA

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the laptop isn't booting into windows immediately, there's a delay.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if this issue occurs on the safe mode?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

1. On the black screen, press Ctrl, Shift, ESC to open the Task Manager window.

NOTE:

If the Task Manager window does not open, see Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

2. Click the Process tab.

3. Look for one or both of the following tasks:

• Run Once Wrapper

• Run Once Wrapper (32-bit)

Right-click the task, and then click the End task button. Windows should start normally.

4. On the Windows 8 start screen type Control Panel then click Control Panel in the search results. In Windows 7, click Start then type Control Panel, then click Control Panel in the search results.
  5. From the Windows Control Panel, go to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs.

Remove any of the following programs. Additionally, remove any other suspected programs that are not listed.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation