• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen with white blank problem

Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
So i already had windows 7 for many years and i wanted to download kali linux for my pc... i didnt want the operating system to be working on a virtual machine. So i burnt them into a cd.So i putted the cd into the driver and i started installing them, i didnt pay much attention to the screen but at the end of the installation it showed something about an error from the grub loader(or something like that) i quickly turned off my pc.when i opened again my pc all i could see was a black screen with a blank in the left corner... i tried diagnostics and it showed that there is no bootable operating system. I just want to restore windows
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I just want to restore Windows.

What model-number of HP computer do you have?

How old is the disk-drive?

Do you have the original Windows 7 DVD?  If so, boot from it, and install Windows.

Then, run Windows Update.

If you do not have that DVD, see www.ComputerSurgeons.com  and/or  www.BootDisks.com

Do a search on your model-number, to see if you can purchase a copy of the original DVD.

Or, if you have a friend with a "retail" copy of Windows 7, and you can read the 25-character product-key on the Microsoft decal on your computer, you can boot from that media, and use your product-key. 

Then, run Windows Update.

Finally, access http://support.hp.com and search on your model-number for the latest device-drivers.

Download & install those files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have the windows cd.I would by one but first i wanted to make sure that it is a windows booting problem and not something else.

I have a compaq 500B mt

And i think my hard drive is 10 years old.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  i think my hard drive is 10 years old.

You could either spend about $100 US to replace the disk-drive,

or spend about $200 on www.bestbuy.com -- search for "refurbished desktop computer" to find decent computers, running Windows 10, that will last for 4 or 5 years -- amortize to $20 to $25 per year.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation