Did you mean: 
MHewgill
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Blank screen after BIOS update on 23-b090ea

HP Recommended

Hi there,

My son has the computer  and has recently started having the symptoms. i.e. completely blank screen. We haven't done a bios update though and my gut feeling is that this happened after a windows update.

Shortly after it happened I managed to get back on the machine by sheer luck and did a system restore back to mid August. It was then fine for while but then stopped working, I think, when the windows update occurred a second time.

Since then I have spent well over 12 hours trying every combination of key strokes suggested on various forums. In that time I have randomly been able to get back on the machine about three times but I cant reproduce a method that works all the time because I'm trying so many things and suddenly when I've pretty much given up itsprings back into life. I managed to install the latest NVIDEA display drivers last time I got on but this hasn't fixed the problem and I'm now locked out again. I think it's got something to do with Windows loading with the display driver in a sleep state, because the last 2 times I got on I hit the Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B keys that supposedly forces the display to reboot, but it doesn't always work consistently, which may be something to do with the timing of when the keys are hit or something else that has to happen beforehand. It's pretty much the most frustrating computer problem I've ever come across, because you are trying things completely blind. It's weird that the computer can look so dead yet when you manage to wake it up, it all works perfectly.

If I do find the answer, I'll let you know.

Regards

Mark

1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,692
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I have randomly been able to get back on the machine about three times

> but I can't reproduce a method that works all the time

> because I'm trying so many things

> and suddenly when I've pretty much given up itsprings back into life.

A friend's computer had a similar problem -- sometimes it would quickly reboot, and sometimes it took many minutes.

We traced the problem to some "bad" sectors on the disk-drive.

If Windows "randomly" chose to try to write to those sectors, it would take literally minutes to write a 2048-byte file.

We checked the Windows Event Viewer ("eventvwr.exe"), to find that "slow I/O" message.

The solution was to replace the three-year-old disk-drive.

So, restart the computer, and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run all the available tests against the disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation