Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Blank screen after BIOS update on 23-b090ea

Pavilion 23-b090ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently rand the HP online driver check on the driver download page on my parents' HP Pavilion 23-b090ea All-in-One - it proposed a BIOS updated, which I applied.  After reboot I no longer have any display.  

The PC is working - I can access it over the network and if I plug in a DisplayLink dock I can get displays on external screens.  The machine itself has no video port, so I can't get to the boot screen.

When plugged into a displaylink dock, I can re-run the BIOS update, or one that's slightly older, but I am unable to run the original BIOS update to revert back as it's installer doesn't work in Windows 10.

I thought I might build a Windows 8 hard disk for the unit so I could run the old BIOS update but as I have no screen I would have to build it entirely with displaylink drivers, etc. (and possibly pre-staged drivers for the machine itself, though it may work without them) but that's quite an undertaking...

Any suggestions?  The machine is long our of warranty, but is perfectly usable and I'm pretty annoyed that a HP recommended BIOS update has killed the machine.  I run and IT department, and we keep firmware up to date on many machines from many manufacturers and have never had one die due to a manufacturer recommended update.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rob701 wrote:

1. The HP online driver proposed a BIOS update d, which I applied.  After reboot I no longer have any display.  

2. The PC is working - I can access it over the network and if I plug in a DisplayLink dock I can get displays on external screens. 

3. The machine itself has no video port, so I can't get to the boot screen.

4. When plugged into a displaylink dock, I can re-run the BIOS update, or one that's slightly older, but

5. I am unable to run the original BIOS update to revert back as it is installer doesn't work in Windows 10.

6. I thought I might build a Windows 8 hard disk for the unit so I could run the old BIOS update but as I have no screen I would have to build it entirely with displaylink drivers, etc. (and possibly pre-staged drivers for the machine itself, though it may work without them) but that's quite an undertaking...

7. I'm pretty annoyed that a HP recommended BIOS update has killed the machine. 

I run an d IT department ...

1. If it were a desktop with integrated video, then add-in a graphics adapter card, to force the motherboard to disable the integrated video.  Connect the monitor to that adapter, and you should be able to view the BIOS SETUP screen.

But, since it is an All-In-One, that won't work.

Have you viewed:  Pavilion 23-b090ea All-in-One PC: Blank Screen on Booting

(archived in 2016) but seems to have good advice. 

2. So, you are saying that the DisplayLink dock will not display the BIOS SETUP screen on an external screen?

3. Do you have a USB adapter that does video-output?

4. Are you saying that the computer is still running, such that you can watch the BIOS update's progress?

5. Open the "Properties" window of the BIOS update application, and configure the installer to run in an emulated Windows 7 (or 😎 environment.  Maybe, this will work.

6.You could build Windows 8 on a different computer, onto a spare hard disk, with *NO* Internet connection. When prompted to restart for the first time during the installation process, force a shutdown, and remove the disk-drive. Connect the disk-drive to your computer, and reboot, to continue the installation.  Do you see any video of the "HP splash" or the POST screens?  At that point, Windows may not have yet installed the "optimal" device-drivers for the video, e.g,. basic 800-by-600 support. Then, try the BIOS Update to "downgrade".

7. I'm not sure that the update has truly "killed" the machine. Certainly, it is much more than a flesh wound. [Flashback to Monty Python & The Holy Grail -- I have been hurt worse.]

P.S. When I ran a department, my technical skills decayed.  But, my underlings obeyed my orders.  :Wink:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, as you note, this system has no external video port.  The built-in screen never displays anything, and sadly DisplayLink screens don't kick in until after the OS has booted - at this point I can interact with the system on the external USB connected screens, re-install the new BIOS (which doesn't help) and attempt to re-install the old BIOS in compatibility mode, which doesn't work. 

As I can't see anything on the screen other than after Windows has booted, it's a struggle to do anyting in Windows 8 setup, but I might try.  It is made harder by the fact that Windows 8 doesn't support DIsplayLink natively, so you have to install the drivers (which is hard without seeing what you are doing, but I may be able to get RDP access if I can get it as far as being on the network I guess).  Windows 10 (1803) does support DL natively hence I was able to just plug the DL dock in and leave it for 20 mins to detect and install drivers.

The other post you linked to seems to be exactly the issue I am having, but doesn't seem to have been resolved.  I'll try those things anyway just in case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wonder if "resetting" the BIOS settings would be helpful.

I looked at the User Guides for your model.

Lots of images, and multilingual text, but nothing to describe any "BIOS Reset" button or jumpers, nor how to use them.

It would involve partial disassembly, and then looking for that button/jumper, and then guessing what to do --- move the jumper -- wait a few seconds -- move it back, or just press/hold the button for a few seconds?

I still like the idea of an "offline" (no Internet) install of Windows 8 onto a spare disk-drive, on a different computer, up to the point where it prompts to restart to finalize the installation.  You'll get to see the progress. After booting the spare disk-drive in your computer, Windows should use plug-and-play to install some of the device-drivers -- enough for you to run the BIOS-Updater to "downgrade".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I may be SOL on this - I spoke to HP support, when I finally found their well hidden phone number.  They suggested all the things already tried, and said the machine was too old to repair.

At this point, unless I can build a Windows 8 disk with all the drivers pre-staged or find someone with the correct equipment to flash the ROM via the SPI header (which doesn't look standard to me on this motherboard) I think the machine is dead, which is a real waste.

Sigh.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> unless I can build a Windows 8 disk with all the drivers pre-staged ...

Do you have another Windows 8 system that is working?

If so, clone that system's disk-drive.

Disconnect the original disk-drive from that computer.

Connect the clone to that computer.

Install the video-driver.

Move the updated cloned disk-drive to your system.

Boot into Windows.

Windows should install the model-specific device-drivers for your hardware.

Reboot.

Within Windows, rerun the older BIOS-updater, to "downgrade" the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation